Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
What is your favorite GK moment/memory?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What is your favorite GK moment/memory?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
mpisarski01
What is your favorite GK moment/memory?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 9, 2020 7:44 AM
I got the idea for this question after reading a few comments on the malibu post.

What is your favorite moment or memory from a GK event/cup/meetup.

For me it has to be the Los Seranos event where Johnny was giving away a putter and decided to have a contest. A few of us tied on the putting greens so after the round we put a glass on the carpet 20+feet away and decided closest to the cup wins the putter. I had putted so bad that day on the course in a GK cup match with Keith that it was Ironic that I ended up winning the putting contest on the carpet of the Los Seranos Club house.
 Message #96187
noeldaof
RE: What is your favorite GK moment/memory?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 9, 2020 4:00 PM
There were a lot of fun ones but it was a long time before I joined another. The one that sticks to mind was around end of summer, 2012. The event was at Monarch Dunes'Old course. It could be the time when I carpooled with Kviser... not sure... When we arrived in the area a day before, we had lunch at Cypress Ridge GC and off we went for 18 before checking in at the hotel.

The following day, many of us in the GK group played the Monarch Dune's Challenge course- all par 3 and they all look like a signature holes. It was foggy that morning we played. It was so thick that my laser scope range finder would not work in the fog. We could hardly see anything, but two of the guys we were with knew the course and they guided us to the direction of the green where to aim. It was a fun experience. Everyone was quiet listening for the ball strike but more so to hear the ball land (hopefully) on the green. It made it really fun to find the ball on the green, but very frustrating not finding it also. The fog went away on the last two holes we were to play. So now when we're all done playing in the morning par three course and our main event tee time does not start for another three hour or so. (big lunch - LOL)

Anyway, this was the time when Monarch Dune's #1 hole was just down the right side from the pro shop, a par 4 with the lake on its left side- what is now the #10 from what I hear. It's been a while and I can't remember for sure but, many of us wanted to venture into town- Pismo Beach for some chowder and eats. Kevin's friend, Money'sworth had a nice big ride. I don't think he knew, but when he pulled out of his spot at the parking lot, we were all standing there and we all jumped in his truck for a ride. LOL

The following day, we all went to play La Purisima, also my first and last time I was there. Very impressed with that course and a great course to end the weekend.
JVGA
 Message #96194 - This was a reply to message #96187
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday September 9, 2020 8:42 PM
I've been thinking about this for most of the day and was able to narrow it down to 3 days and two honorable mention shots. Sorry that was the best I could do. The three events are (in no particular order).

GK Cup match with Roarksown1 at Sandpiper. On top of the non stop laughs, great views of the pacific there were three (BC) birdies between us to add to the fun meter. The match came down to the very last hole with each having a 6-8' putt for par to win/tie the match. Rob made his and mine burned the edge. An action packed comedy drama feature film for sure.

Pebble Beach with Johnny GK and RGM2525. For everything he's done for our GK community is was so cool to give something special back to him. Just his facial expression at the check in said it all. Thank you again to all the GK'ers who contributed to his gift card.

Hunter Ranch with Roarksown1,, Sbarajasjr, and Mpisarski01- 7 birdies in 10 holes!! Need I say more?!

Single hole honorable mentions -

Matt's Eagle on #14 at Pebble Beach

My birdie off the rock at Cascata
 Message #96198 - This was a reply to message #96194
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday September 9, 2020 10:09 PM
I've mentioned this in the past, but worth repeating here:

When I was a kid, I loved how anytime I played golf with my grandpa at his club, part of the whole experience was spending an hour or two at the clubhouse bar/patio after the round, where all his friends would say hi and ask how he played, settle up bets, etc. Having never belonged to a club myself, the only times I've ever had that experience is with fellow GKers. Always good to see everyone and catch up, exchange notes from the day, hear everyone's stories, etc.

Other more specific memories that come to mind:
• Holing out for eagle on the first hole at Monarch Dunes, right after meeting the rest of my group for the first time.
• Jerry64 hitting his opening tee shot at Journey at Pechanga against the squared-off tee marker, which sent it flying backwards about 100 yards at the speed of light and three feet off the ground. Miracle no one got killed.
• The first #GKReviewGuru Vegas double-dip that included rounds at Rio Secco and Cascata AND a night at Bally's... for something like $120?
• Competing in two GK Cup Finals... and losing on the second extra hole both times.
• Lots of amazing invites from Johnny and other GKers to play phenomenal courses I wouldn't otherwise be likely to play... Saticoy, Hacienda and Crystalaire come to mind.
• So many more!

Once again, thanks Johnny for making this all possible!
 Message #96199 - This was a reply to message #96198
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Thursday September 10, 2020 6:03 AM
Great topic Matt! Lots of memories over the last 10+ years. If I had to choose...

GK Event: Malibu still holds a special place in my heart as I was able to convince three friends of mine with whom I had just recently tried golfing with to not only sign up but make the long drive up there. It was such a cool setting, winding through the hills seeing some rich people/celebrities having a party at this park where they had security and valet. The course itself was the first one I ever played not in San Diego after picking the sport back up and it showed! I hit my opening tee shot so low to the ground that it hit an above ground sprinkler that exploded. Had a wonderful time, enough so I came back for another event there with GK. They say you never forget your first

GK Cup: Normally I would have said this last GK Cup 15 since I made it the furthest I ever have, but I would say my match against Matt "LOTR" Schliebe in GK Cup 12 is my favorite one as I have never played a match against someone who shot under par, at Torrey North of all places! I had played with Matt before, in fact in a quarter final match at Crossings but was so distracted that day that I didn't pay attention. This time at famed Torrey Pines, Matt puts on a freking clinic of golf, hands me 16 strokes and I use every one of them to take that match all the way to the last putts on 18 at dusk. I forget Matt's final score but to see someone "miss" on one bad shot all day (he may have come up just short of the green) was magical.

GK Meetup: I actually have plenty of meetups to choose from, but this one is easy as it just happened a month or two back. With my girlfriend away hiking Mt. Whitney I had all the time in the world to try and golf somewhere special. GK member Alex R. was nice enough to schedule a chance to play the legendary Spyglass Hill. Knowing I could take advantage of the drive to Monterrey, GK member Perry K. and I decided to splurge on the green fee at Pebble Beach (minus the stay at the Lodge requirement or a caddy due to COVID), as well as a side trip up to Pasatiempo. It was a perfect golfing trifecta for me as I got to play what are now #1, 2, and 3 on my list of the best courses I've ever played (in spite of my horrid scores at Pebble and Pasatiempo, though I managed to squeak out a 41 on the back 9 at Spyglass).

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Thursday September 10, 2020 7:36 AM]]
 Message #96200 - This was a reply to message #96187
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday September 10, 2020 6:40 AM
QUOTED  What is your favorite moment or memory from a GK event/cup/meetup.

I can see this post becoming one of my all-time favorite forum posts.

Thank You for making it Matt.

And Thank You everyone that replies.

Its probably impossible for me to nail down a favorite moment or memory for a GK event/cup/meetup (there are standouts for sure) but I can pinpoint the most significant regarding GK. It happened at the same GK outing that Noel references. GK's 10th Birthday at Monarch Dunes Golf Club. Birthdays often put me in a reflective mindset and this was by far GK's biggest. I got an overwhelming good feeling that day and during my final thoughts upon concluding the outing, those of you there might remember my speech, I stated as much as GK helps thousands of golfers enjoy their golf experiences more through the resource it provides, its the friendships being created through GK that mean the most.

So from that point on I focused much more of my energies creating added opportunities for us to share good times together. Without question my favorite part of GK is every time we can get together to tee it up. Whether its at an outing or just for a round. We have an amazing community here on GK that is brought together by our love for the game and a genuine want to help each other enjoy it more. I've seen countless friendships built through it. Means so much. Thank You.

btw - Greenskeeper.org was launched September 6th, 2002.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #96201 - This was a reply to message #96187
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 10, 2020 8:46 AM
stevinson ranch was really fun... mostly because the cabins were right there, and we all stayed overnight together... hung out at the pool and got some quality face time with a bunch of you.

food was awesome.. that steak... i think kviser got an ace that weekend, which trumped my eagle on 18.... great course.

too bad it closed.
 Message #96205 - This was a reply to message #96201
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday September 10, 2020 11:13 AM
My first GK outing was also my first visit to Rams Hill. I'll never forget that.
 Message #96206 - This was a reply to message #96205
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday September 10, 2020 2:02 PM
When I first joined GK 13 years ago, I started trading e-mails with John. Asking questions about the Score tracker, writing reviews, GK events etc.

After a few days, we traded phone numbers. We both lived in Westlake Village at the time, so I knew we could not live more than several miles apart. On our first phone conversation, John said he lived in the Village Homes housing track. My significant other was sitting on the couch when I told John I did not know where Village Homes was... she was laughing hysterically, telling me that we also lived in Village Homes? DUH!!! Didn't say that on any signs I knew of... Anyway, turns out that if I walked a couple of houses down down my street, cut through the community park and then walked about 10 houses down the next street, I was at John's house. We literally lived 1 street and 13 houses apart.

Small world!

Over a decade ago, John had an outing in Az. We drove out there together and were going to have dinner with his parents. Easy to spot Jack, he was just an older John. John's mom was not there yet, so we are sitting around talking. In a crowded restaurant, from a distance I see a petite, blondish lady walking toward us with a smile on her face. From 50' away my first thought was what in the hell is my mom doing here? She continues walking toward the table, John gets up and goes and greets her. It was John's mom. My mom and John's mom have never met and do not know each other, but it was errie how much they looked alike at that time. From 20' away I still thought I was getting punked or something, looked just like my mom. Different eyes and voices, but they could have been sisters or served as the others body double they looked so much alike.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96209 - This was a reply to message #96206
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Thursday September 10, 2020 4:16 PM
Hey Noel we were at that GK event at Monarch Dunes as well! I believe that was when we met Brian and Tobi! I definitely remember that first hole where we had to hit across a lake. Chris and I had played it before but we could only see about half way across the lake and had to trust out memory of where the green was! A very crazy round but the start of a great friendship!
My favorite outing was at Paiute when I shot a 79 with 23 putts! It seemed like all I had to do was putt it and it went in. Will never forget that round!
 Message #96210 - This was a reply to message #96209

Listing 1 to 10 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]