Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Silverado as "Opening Week" Venue... Who's Exci...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Silverado as "Opening Week" Venue... Who's Excited?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
Itslikeimsayin
Silverado as "Opening Week" Venue... Who's Excited?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 11, 2020 1:37 PM
I admit I’ve never played it or seen the course in person…

I know there’s more nuance to the design than is apparent on TV…

I know there’s smoke in the air detracting from the visuals…

I know more amenities than just the course factor into site selection…

…But the PGA Tour needs a better “opening week” venue than this boring, marginally conditioned Silverado Resort course.

Every year I feel like they’re playing Green River during the Safeway Open.

The old schedule had beautiful Kapalua as the star attraction to get everyone excited for a new start, while this new schedule picks what’s arguably the least visually appealing course on Tour. I watch a lot of PGA Tour coverage and I can’t think of any course that shows worse on TV than Silverado.

There’s got to be a more engaging venue in Napa or maybe over in the East Bay Area that can accommodate the Tour’s opening week tournament.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?
 Message #96229
roarksown1
RE: Silverado as "Opening Week" Venue... Who's Excited?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday September 11, 2020 2:21 PM
Were the ridiculous numbers put up at TPC Boston indicative of a course not good enough for the PGA Tour?
 Message #96230 - This was a reply to message #96229
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday September 11, 2020 3:01 PM
QUOTED  Were the ridiculous numbers put up at TPC Boston indicative of a course not good enough for the PGA Tour?

I don't get where you're going with this. TPC Boston is a beautiful, interesting course to watch no matter what the scores are.
 Message #96233 - This was a reply to message #96230
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday September 12, 2020 2:45 PM
I volunteer here every year (not this year) as a standard bearer, so I've walked the course quite a bit.

Course: I'd say it's a top 25% course in the state. Not every course can be Plantation. It's a challenging track... but probably only has like 9 really cool holes. And too many straight away holes. Holes 1-5, 8, 10-11, and 17 are quality. I agree watching it on TV doesn't do the course justice... I just played pebble, and TV does not do that course justice. 18 at Riviera looks nothing like on TV. And it's not marginally conditioned... it's tour quality.

So if you are looking for course aesthetics on TV... I'd argue the backgrounds are what you are looking for, more than the actual hole routing. Much of pebble on TV, the holes look average, the ocean looks amazing.

But Silverado has been voted the most fan friendly event on tour for the last few years. They do a great job for the volunteers (free volunteer package for starters), they do concerts for 3 nights. The food tents are quality.

I'm sure the players love this site: great family venue, the wine tasting and the food... the accomodations are convenient and right on site, and it's all villas.

It's not going anywhere, I don't think.

As far as opening week... I mean, that seems outdated now... the FedEx cup ends and normally, within weeks, it's the start of the new season. This year, it's the next week.

This event used to be at Cordevalle as the Fry.com open. There's not really a tour quality course outside of SF... Pasatiempo is a great course, but not logistically possible. Never been to Cordevalle. But they left there for a reason. The LPGA used to hold an event at BlackHawk CC in Danville... I didn't like that setup, but it's a nice course... Kind of like a way nicer eagle glen. The US Senior Open was at Del Paso CC in Sac. That's less visually appealing than Silverado.
 Message #96247 - This was a reply to message #96229

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]