Cheapskate Alert: Beware Parking Fees at Terranea
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 20, 2020 2:04 AM
I read in some reviews and now see in their TeeOff.com "course information" that Terranea Resort is now charging golfers for parking. $10 M-F and $15 Friday-Sunday. Lame! Although tons of fun and a gorgeous course, it's already overpriced.

Carpool and/or set your expectations if you still venture out there.

End public service announcement.
 Message #96355
Nickesquire
RE: Cheapskate Alert: Beware Parking Fees at Terranea
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Sunday September 20, 2020 8:53 AM
That is not being cheap Mark, your analysis is spot on. Even if it is the best 9 hole par 3 course I have ever played.

Considering they already regularly charge $30-$45 to walk a 9 hole par 3 course, adding a parking fee on top of that seems really excessive and poorly thought out. However, they cater to resort guests, who are already being assessed a parking fee as part of their stay. Not the general public just there for 2 hours of golf.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96356 - This was a reply to message #96355
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    tournament Club of Iowa

Sunday September 20, 2020 9:43 AM
I just sent them an email advising them that they have now lost me as a customer. If enough people let them know, perhaps they will get the message !

[[Edited by weber on Sunday September 20, 2020 2:16 PM]]
 Message #96357 - This was a reply to message #96356
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday September 21, 2020 7:21 AM
Who owns the parking lot? Golf course or city? Is it a large lot or is parking limited? I'm just curious if this is an actual revenue issue or a way to get golfers to car pool. London has been charging various cars for 10 years now that don't meet emissions standards (hybrids) or car pool. If you want to drive into London solo in your Range Rover it'll cost you. I know that the golf course could "suggest" customers car pool but we all know that will go ignored. Charging a fee is a means of encouraging golfers to car pool. What is traffic like in the area? Are they losing customers who don't want to battle traffic in the area so there's a big push city wide to reduce the number of cars on the road? I'm not familiar with the course or area, so I don't know.

If the city owns the lot, the city may have increased the rent so the golf course is just trying to survive. This goes back to the single rider cart fee. Golf courses now have to employ extra personnel to wash and sanitize twice as many carts. They don't want to raise the green fee and punish those of us who choose to walk. We have to remember Golf Courses are a business. They need to make money or close up shop.

It always baffles me when I see a group of golfers finish a round and then go eat right away off property. If you're going to spend the money give it to the golf course and help them out.

Just a different perspective is all.
 Message #96359 - This was a reply to message #96357
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Monday September 21, 2020 7:54 AM
The lot is owned by the resort which also runs the course. Now I understand that this place is expensive due to the location on the water and being ranked one of the best short courses in america but the parking fee is ridiculous. I have been there many times and never have seen the parking lot full so they cant say its a demand issue. Just greed.
 Message #96360 - This was a reply to message #96359
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday September 21, 2020 8:00 AM
To answer the questions Alex posed and for those of you unfamiliar. Terrenea is a privately owned resort on the far side of the Palos Verdes peninsula that caters to high end customers on the site of where Marineland used to be. It is about as remote a location as you will find within 30-35 miles of downtown L.A. with water on three sides. One way in/out from each direction. The layout points directly @ Catalina Island with at least 180 degree views of the Pacific on many holes.

Walking only, the 9 hole par 3 golf course is part of the resort. It has always been my impression that while they offer public tee times, that is just to fill in gaps when resort guests were not using the course. There was never any doubt in my mind in talking with people in the pro shop about who had priority there on tee times. I went to a business conference there years before I played the course and you had to pay for parking in the lots not close to the golf course at least a decade ago.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96361 - This was a reply to message #96359
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 21, 2020 8:59 AM
Great idea to send them an adios note- sent.
JVGA
 Message #96362 - This was a reply to message #96357
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday September 21, 2020 12:04 PM
QUOTED  Considering they already regularly charge $30-$45 to walk a 9 hole par 3 course

Just for accuracy, public rates I see available now range from a low of $36 (5:00 today) up to $60 (Saturday morning). Again, that's walking a 9-hole par 3 course.

Also Alex for context, room rates start at $505/nt.
 Message #96376 - This was a reply to message #96356

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]