Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
The annual Rams Hill, Indian Wells Celebrity an...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The annual Rams Hill, Indian Wells Celebrity and Classic Club trifecta

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1
Nickesquire
The annual Rams Hill, Indian Wells Celebrity and Classic Club trifecta
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 15, 2020 8:34 AM
More than once John and GK have grouped together a Sunday outing @ Rams Hill followed up with a 36 hole day @ Indian Wells Celebrity and Classic Club.

I know for many it's a long way and it's around the holidays. This year throw in all the challenges associated with COVID. But playing these 3 courses within 36 hours is such a treat, it is worth the effort. Especially @ good prices.

There are some out there who have exact lists of how many courses they have played over the years. I play alot of golf and have experienced hundreds of courses over the decades. I sat down and tried to come up with a comprehensive list based on what is on GK. That works for courses currently open in the GK footprint. Problem for me is I have no idea the name of some of the courses I played back in the 70's in H.S./College. Can't even remember all the colleges we played against. Or courses played on vacations? Talking to you Myrtle Beach back in the 70's where we would get in 6 courses in 4 days.

In the pre GK days, I played mostly relatively close to wherever I lived, and occasionally on vacations. Did come up with close to 2 dozen courses I've played over the years that are unfortunately no longer with us. And there is the added challenge of courses that change their names, often more than once over the years. Some may find this amusing, but more than once I thought I was playing a brand new to me course only to pull up in the parking lot and realize I played there 25 to 40 years ago under a different name.

The point of this is that out of 500+ regulation golf courses I have played since the early 1970's, these 3 courses rank in my top two dozen when you factor in layout, course condition, customer service and the fun factor of playing them.

Something to think about for future years. Highly worth the drive, getting a room and taking a day off work to facilitate getting these 3 courses in if you really like playing top of the line public courses. Huge shout out to John for setting this up. I look forward to playing these three back to back to back for months. It would be difficult to come up with 3 courses open to the public that you could easily play within 36 hours where the quality of the overall experience you get would exceed these three.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97258
Deepsea14
RE: The annual Rams Hill, Indian Wells Celebrity and Classic Club trifecta
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday December 15, 2020 8:47 AM
QUOTED  It would be difficult to come up with 3 courses open to the public that you could easily play within 36 hours where the quality of the overall experience you get would exceed these three.

Nick I like you may have forgotten some of the courses back in the day, (designers we both like Donald Ross and Tom Fazio) don't forget those tracks
But...

Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass, The Links at Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, Bayonet & Blackhorse. (wonder what Bandon Dunes courses are like)

Didn't you add these to your play list just this year? lol

I do appreciate your commentary and will try and accomplish this trifecta of courses next year with GK.

Kudos to Johnny and hope to play in the 2021 opener near sin city.

Merry Christmas
 Message #97261 - This was a reply to message #97258
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday December 15, 2020 9:06 AM
I am so bummed that I no longer have the job which allowed me monthly stops at Rams Hill and PS. My new job may allow me a couple of stops at Bandon and Bend OR per year, so that is potentially nice.
 Message #97263 - This was a reply to message #97258
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Tuesday December 15, 2020 10:55 AM
QUOTED  Nick I like you may have forgotten some of the courses back in the day, (designers we both like Donald Ross and Tom Fazio) don't forget those tracks
But...

Pebble Beach Golf Links, Spyglass, The Links at Spanish Bay, Poppy Hills, Bayonet & Blackhorse. (wonder what Bandon Dunes courses are like)

Talking courses GK can set us up on Peter. Unfortunately, I don't foresee any GK events @ places like Pebble Beach, Spyglass or Bandon Dunes. Also, for the price we played these 3 courses, you couldn't even come close to playing once at some of those. Hi-lighting not only the quality of the overall golfing experiences and also the prices GK set people up on to attain that quality was my main point.

Peter, I also hear you on the old designers. I grew up playing a Donald Ross course and had no idea as a teenager how good the design was for the era it was built.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97269 - This was a reply to message #97261
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 15, 2020 11:12 AM
A GK Bandon Dunes trip would be awesome. Thinking 2022 once Covid hopefully is behind us, plus you need to set these things up a year ahead of time. It's totally affordable in golf money: you could play all 5 world class courses in 3 days, 4 nights of lodging, caddies, food... in April or May... under $2500.
That's without a group rate benefit. Johnny, work your magic.

[[Edited by michaelko on Tuesday December 15, 2020 11:14 AM]]
 Message #97270 - This was a reply to message #97269
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday December 15, 2020 1:19 PM
I get it Nick. Like the Open Championship

The GK event / plays rotunda.

85 miles between the three barely gets the seat warm for my travel time to most GK events.

GK trip to Bandon? Check
 Message #97271 - This was a reply to message #97270

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]