mlslaw
Rustic Canyon

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday December 16, 2020 8:03 PM
New cart pollicy: New RC rule is no elec. cart unless you are 60+ or with a legit docs letter. Otherwise, it's a walking golf course. Weekday cart rates are $16 per player for a shared cart or $21 for a single. My thinking is that they may have been running out of carts + maybe the course was showing wear from all the riding. Don't know for sure but things are definitely different out there.
 Message #97280
mpisarski01
RE: Rustic Canyon
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Thursday December 17, 2020 7:08 AM
Welp I wont be visiting there any time soon.
 Message #97281 - This was a reply to message #97280
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday December 17, 2020 9:14 AM
I haven’t played Rustic but I assume it’s a walkable course? Of so and as long as there is a walking rate then I can understand their logic. 9 months ago the world and golf world specifically was shut down completely. No one thought come Jan 2021 we would still be in this predicament. Courses have to find a way to maintain a balance. Keep up the pace of play, operate within Covid guidelines, keep prices fair and still turn a profit.

Seems like Rustic Canyon is taking a progressive step to balance it all. Single rider carts means extra costs to the course, more sanitizing (employees) delays in getting carts to afternoon riders and so forth.

Encouraging/forcing those who can walk isn’t necessarily wrong. Possibly the new normal to be followed by other courses?
 Message #97282 - This was a reply to message #97281
mdames
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday December 17, 2020 9:54 AM
Except for a few holes on the back nine, Rustic is basically a flat course. So, it is walkable. I always walk this course. I don't think this has impacted their business at all. Try to get a morning tee time. It won't be easy.
 Message #97283 - This was a reply to message #97282
bnr1986

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    prestwick GC

Thursday December 17, 2020 10:54 AM
unless it ruins pace of play (which it may not given how carts give people cover for not playing ready golf), this is a great idea. course is super walkable, only bad stretch is gap between 9 & 10. but still, love them forcing people to get some exercise & also save their turf. the super must be thrilled.

what they should really do is give out a frequent players card tied to a weight loss challenge. sign up for a card, weigh in. if you're down 10% of your initial weigh in weight when you check in for the 10th round, the round is on them. would generate some excellent publicity
 Message #97284 - This was a reply to message #97283
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday December 17, 2020 3:54 PM
Last time we were there was in June for a mid day round. They were out of carts.
Guys/locals mentioned that they run out of carts early and often. Not surprised.

It's a nice walk like many says- it's linksy.
JVGA
 Message #97288 - This was a reply to message #97280
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday December 17, 2020 4:45 PM
QUOTED  I haven’t played Rustic but I assume it’s a walkable course? Of so and as long as there is a walking rate then I can understand their logic. 9 months ago the world and golf world specifically was shut down completely. No one thought come Jan 2021 we would still be in this predicament. Courses have to find a way to maintain a balance. Keep up the pace of play, operate within Covid guidelines, keep prices fair and still turn a profit.

Seems like Rustic Canyon is taking a progressive step to balance it all. Single rider carts means extra costs to the course, more sanitizing (employees) delays in getting carts to afternoon riders and so forth.

Encouraging/forcing those who can walk isn’t necessarily wrong. Possibly the new normal to be followed by other courses?

You need to play it Alex, very unique course for So Cal. Huge greens and mowed down aprons produce lengthy putts and low running chips that most players are not used to playing. Just remember that if in doubt, the ball breaks toward the front gate.

Up hole 15 then down hole 16 is the only significant hilly section on the course. Longer than normal walks from holes 9-10 and holes 17-18 not withstanding, Rustic is a very fun course to walk. With few homes visible from most holes, it makes you think you are much farther from the 118 freeway than you actually are (maybe 2 miles max?)

Remembering back when Rustic first opened, GDR23 & I played dozens and dozens of Monday afternoon twilight rounds there. It was something like $16, then $18, then $20, but was always one of the best deals in the area to walk weekday twilight M-Th. Friday's I assume they still do the "blended" weekend rate?

There was the same general group of regulars there for years on weekday afternoons that we would often get matched up with. Back in the early 2000's, I used to cringe every time I saw a So Cal golf magazine article touting "L.A.'s best kept secret"... knowing that Rustic would get more crowded after every article. But for the first few years, play during the week was so light it made you feel like you belonged to a private club.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97289 - This was a reply to message #97282
bmanmp

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek GC

Thursday December 17, 2020 7:10 PM
the course itself is alright but the PoP is the problem here. Once every 8-9 months I'll go out here and remind myself why I can't stand this place with so many other options within a 5 minute drive. Last time I was there it took me almost 4 hours to play the front 9 only, and that was a Tuesday afternoon. not exactly prime time for a place to be packed. Forcing people to walk certainly isn't going to help this, but maybe it will keep those who don't play "ready golf" or tend to be far off the fairway one way or the other to go places like Robles, Simi or Westlake and open this place up a bit.
 Message #97290 - This was a reply to message #97289
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Friday December 18, 2020 2:15 PM
RC can be a very tough walk, especially with strong Santa Anas (from the NE). We call the back 9 during these winds (especially up the 13th fairway) "the death march." Highly inadvisable without a cart.

I'd expect that RC will make the new cart policy very visible. If not, more than one group will refuse to play without being able to ride. Some folks never walk, even tho fully capable.
 Message #97297 - This was a reply to message #97290
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Friday December 18, 2020 2:18 PM
Bmanmp raises an interesting questioning in my mind that might be worth spinning into a new discussion or even survey when he states "Forcing people to walk certainly isn't going to help this…"

I walk at almost every opportunity and would suspect most walkers on a course are more like me. A group of capable but more occasional walkers would make up a lesser percentage, and the random opportunity walker a small percentage. I would tend to think that golfers for whom having a cart is a regular thing, whether by need or preference, are highly unlikely to be "forced" to walk anywhere. I think they would be more likely to go elsewhere if a course stipulates walking. There are certainly enough alternatives around — like the alternative courses he mentions. Maybe a small group of riders like Rustic so much they will suck it up to walk there as a a personal anomaly, but I suspect not a lot.

Certainly, an efficient player in cart can exceed the pace of an efficient walker, but I don't buy into the idea that walkers are inherently slow or the reason for bad pace of play. Pace is more about how the individuals are approaching the game.

Stereotypes of golfers as non-athletic not withstanding, walking 18 is a physical commitment. I will be very curious as to how the policy affects their tee sheet and the pace. Personally it makes me curious to get back there sooner than later and see for myself.
 Message #97298 - This was a reply to message #97290

Listing 1 to 10 of 17 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]