Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Higher priced tee times sustainable?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Higher priced tee times sustainable?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
sammy3
RE: Higher priced tee times sustainable?

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 5, 2021 7:35 PM
Glad you guys can still golf. Loss of hours has taken golf out of the picture for awhile. I did get in one round last September. Have a good year.
 Message #97487 - This was a reply to message #97368
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Tuesday January 5, 2021 9:06 PM
QUOTED  Seems many "Palm Springs area" courses on TeeOff/GN took a noticeable jump in price from December to January. I know that's customary, but still catches me off guard when you know there's not an overnight transformation in conditions, etc.

Could not agree more Mark, good analysis!

The population of the greater Palm Springs area doubles to triples from after Thanksgiving to around Easter when the snow birds are traditionally present. January is when it peaks according to stats I have seen online. Most of the courses in the desert make well over 85% of their annual revenue and the playing conditions are usually top notch after over seeding for this period.

Paying top dollar to play places like PGA West, Desert Willow, Classic Club, Indian Wells etc. I understand and can appreciate. It is the trickle down effect that floors me. When I see some of the worst courses in the valley going for $70 - $95 to play 18 holes??? And many of them are packed. Value is truly in the eye of the beholder. I suppose that if your home 1,500 miles away is under 5 -10' of snow, paying $80 to play an emerald green dawg track looks like a deal?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97490 - This was a reply to message #97480
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday January 6, 2021 6:16 AM
Our 4some plays ever tues and Fri and I have been looking at my stats and notice we are playing the same courses many more times. I contribute that to several things,
1 ) the guy that makes the reservations mostly does it on line and some courses don't give senior walking rates that way, if walking (goose creek)
2) there are not as many tee times available
3) the price,
We like playing really nice courses but with our skill level we ask ourselves is it worth it, no. So we play nice courses that are price friendly. We have the LA senior card and we have the Los serranos weekday card, we really like jurupa.
So we will be in the group that spends their monthly golf budget on many more rounds of cheaper golf instead of spending bigger bucks for a super nice course, I mean after all 3 of our guys shoot 100 to 120 every round so what is the advantages of an expensive course. Not trying to be cruel

[[Edited by chevelle on Wednesday January 6, 2021 6:29 AM]]
 Message #97492 - This was a reply to message #97490
tocho261
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    kj choi
Favorite Golf Course:
    the reserve

Wednesday January 6, 2021 12:23 PM
Thats why I am a member at Dos Lagos. I pay 1800 for a year and get unlimited rounds of golf including Saturdays and Sundays. They do charge you 9 dollars for a cart, but since I walk I do not have to pay anything. I did notice ever since I got the membership I play less rounds at other courses. Since the pandemic hit I noticed i played maybe 15 rounds at another course. I did the math and noticed I have used up the 1800 after the first 4 months of my membership. Now I am playing for free for the rest of the 8 months. Can't beat that.
 Message #97493 - This was a reply to message #97471
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday January 6, 2021 1:17 PM
My feeling on value/cost is to avoid super high prices, unless it's a one off or vacation resort. My group hunts hard for the deals.

Some folks have mentioned going private but here in SoCal, that's beyond the reach of the vast majority (a reason why those courses are so appealing--like surfing a private access great surf spot where the public can't get to).

My personal rule: When the green fee is so steep that you start to figure how much each hole costs to play, then it's way too much.
 Message #97496 - This was a reply to message #97493
dethman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday January 6, 2021 5:39 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By tocho261 on 01.06.2021 12:23 PM]

Thats why I am a member at Dos Lagos. I pay 1800 for a year and get unlimited rounds of golf including Saturdays and Sundays. They do charge you 9 dollars for a cart, but since I walk I do not have to pay anything. I did notice ever since I got the membership I play less rounds at other courses. Since the pandemic hit I noticed i played maybe 15 rounds at another course. I did the math and noticed I have used up the 1800 after the first 4 months of my membership. Now I am playing for free for the rest of the 8 months. Can't beat that.

do you ever get bored playing the same course? i've considered joining a club but one of the things i love about golf is the variety of courses, holes, conditions, and environments, and feel like i'd get antsy and bored playing the same 18 over and over again.
 Message #97497 - This was a reply to message #97493
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday January 6, 2021 6:36 PM
QUOTED  do you ever get bored playing the same course? i've considered joining a club but one of the things i love about golf is the variety of courses, holes, conditions, and environments, and feel like i'd get antsy and bored playing the same 18 over and over again.

Probably depends on the course and at what stage of your golfing life you are in?

I played hundreds of rounds as a teenager @ Lenoir G.C. in North Carolina. My only away rounds during that period were occasional rounds with my dad's Sunday morning group and H.S. golf matches @ other courses. Back in the 1970's, Lenoir G.C. had a Jr. membership that was $50 per year for unlimited walking rounds. I was never bored playing the same course probably 100 rounds in a row in the summer months. Was always trying to beat my best score for each 9, my best 18 hole score, make a birdie on all 18 holes etc.

Used to play twice a week like clockwork with GDR23 in the 2000-2010 timeframe. We had about 8 courses relatively close to our homes that we rotated around to, but Olivas Links and Rustic Canyon were the vast majority of our rounds. Played both probably 100 times in that span. Played maybe 5-10 "new" courses each year while on vacation or while traveling somewhere. Same comments as above on keeping things fresh. I was rarely bored playing many of the same courses time after time.

Starting when we moved to Portland in 2012, I started branching out and playing many more courses. I would estimate that out of the 500+ regulation courses I have played since, probably 75 I only played once. Some because of distance, some just have never made it back to even though they were okay to good courses, and some because once was enough. Other courses that became favorites I have played dozens of times since.

If you look at what I consider my Top/Favorite 25 courses played from an old GK thread, the answer could be yes, definitely. I could be very content playing any one of them day after day. But if it was a mediocre course, probably not if I had the option to play elsewhere.

Before we moved to Rancho Mirage, my wife brought up the possibility of moving to a warm weather retirement community out of state that offered 5 private golf courses as part of their amenity package. Since the courses were private and not on GK, about all I could find out about them from afar was what their promotional brochures said. Does anyone ever have a golf course that is not a "championship" golf course? So sight unseen, my response was that I could be content playing the vast majority of my rounds there (like Weber @ Coto) IF they were GOOD courses. But that I would determine if they were good courses, not their marketing director. And like Tom, I would probably still want to play other local courses. She was told if we were serious I could come and sample the golf. Not sure if they comprehended when that offer was extended it would be sample the golf x 5, maybe more than once each. But we never got serious enough for it to be worth my while to find out. Did not want to live there, so did not want to encourage my wife by going and checking out those courses. I could walk off #18 green to start hearing about all the plans she had for our new house she had picked out since I teed off on #1... best to stay a state away and keep that possibility off the table.

Somewhat off topic, but the funny caveat to this story is that one of my wife's siblings and his wife found that community and wanted to retire there. But they figured out that they could buy basically the same house for $250k less if it was outside the gates, which was fine because they do not golf. So they purchased what I am told is a fine, custom home right beside (but outside) their desired communities boundaries. However, they really liked and wanted to use all the other amenities offered, but could not do so since they were not actual residents. So their plan, and they were totally serious, was for my wife and I to move there, purchase within the community they wanted to live so they could come "visit" several days a week to use everything but the golf. Totally serious, not joking. It was pitched for months in every communication and mentioned to other relatives so they could pass it on. Only ceased when we purchased in Rancho Mirage. The audacity was unbelievable!

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Thursday January 7, 2021 6:02 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97499 - This was a reply to message #97497
zachary

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Wednesday January 6, 2021 7:12 PM
Love your post nick. The problem now with junior golf is there is nowhere to play unless you are a member at a private club. It is a shame this is the case but even with the scga junior program, San Diego has very few locations that allow juniors to play for discounted rates. This will be the death of golf, when the young kids realize they can’t play for under 30 or 40 bucks a round. Shameful but they will do it to themselves.
 Message #97500 - This was a reply to message #97499
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    tournament Club of Iowa

Wednesday January 6, 2021 7:18 PM
Since moving to California in 1970, I played almost everywhere in Southern California, but as getting early tee times became more and more difficult to secure (Weekends primarily) I decided to look into joining a private course. I had the same concerns that playing the same course over and over would be boring, but I pulled the trigger and joined Coto de Caza in 1990. Despite joining I have continued to play a lot away golf, because I love the variety.

When I joined Coto the monthly dues were $240 plus a $50 monthly food/beverage requirement. (No carts included, no locker or club cleaning or storage included, all of which are extra) Now the base dues is $1,010 a month, so unless you can justify playing the course a lot, the per round becomes rather expensive, but living in south Orange County, prices are so crazy here, I have decided to stay at Coto, but now play the majority of my "away" golf at less pricey courses or when I can obtain a voucher/discount coupon. I have averaged in excess of 100 away rounds every year, so you can see golf has been a very expensive vice for this individual. Belonging to Coto has been great because having two excellent courses helps a bunch, but I recently have begun to question the value. However it would be tough to give up the ability to play golf any time just 5 minutes from my home.

Now that many of my favorite "higher end" courses have so greatly inflated their fees, I have avoided giving them my business. Maybe some day when Covid ends (???) and people go back to work, things might return to "normal" and I might then reconsider where I'll hack it around.
 Message #97501 - This was a reply to message #97499
mcantos

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bayonet

Wednesday January 6, 2021 9:15 PM
Agreed..
 Message #97502 - This was a reply to message #97470

Listing 11 to 20 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]