Comparing rounds

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 5, 2021 5:57 AM
So last week at Jurupa I shot 80 with 29 putts and no penalties, I felt good, it was a good round for me. Tuesday at Eagle Glen I shot 97 with 44 putts and 4 penalty strokes, did not feel good. But comparing the 2 rounds the 80 had 51 other strokes and the 97 had 49 other strokes. So maybe the 2nd round was not as bad as the score indicated. Do any of you look at that as to how you are hitting the ball?
 Message #98049
Nickesquire
RE: Comparing rounds
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday March 5, 2021 7:24 AM
Keith, I am probably more analytical and reflective than most about my golf rounds. Regardless of the SCORE, I take into account the following when analyzing rounds after the fact.

Total putts? Definitely a factor. But let's look beyond the numbers. Did I hole any chips or long putts that I would not make 1/100 times that more times than not would have added 2 shots to my score that hole? Did I miss some short putts I would normally make? Being honest with yourself, those 2 factors alone could be a 5 shot swing in any given round.

How about 50-50 balls? Balls that while in the air you are holding your breath. One round it lands on the fringe, kicks toward the pin for a tap in birdie. Almost the same shot next round bounces the opposite way into a terrible lie and you make double. And that can really be exacerbated with balls close to hazards.

2 iffy shots where one goes off a tree OB and the other bounces off a hill into a lake. Almost the same shots next round ricochets into the fairway and barely stays up. 3 shot difference real quickly.

Building on that, where did the miss occur? Where the terrible shots end up has alot more to do with most people's actual 18 hole total score than where the great shots end up.

You hit a few shots every round about as good as you are capable. You hit a bunch in play, not great, not terrible. You hit a few terrible by your standards. Do you really score that much different with a Drive in the middle than one on the side of the fairway or barely into light rough? Bet if you crunched your numbers you would find that while it makes you FEEL good to stripe it, that your average score for that hole over dozens of rounds isn't that different on those 3 drive results. My point is that for most people reading this, many of your Drives, Irons and Chips are interchangeable score wise in most rounds.

HUGE difference in scoring and hitting the ball well. A slight miss hit on certain shots on most courses where there is little margin for error can add to the score quickly. In bunches. Whereas, a slight miss hit on many shots is little different than a perfect shot. Does it really matter if I hit a perfect 6I to lay up to a wide fairway on a par 5 or miss hit one 10 yards offline? Probably not. But the same two 6I shots into a green guarded by a lake could be a 2-3 shot swing is my point.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98051 - This was a reply to message #98049
michaelko
RE:
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday March 5, 2021 7:34 AM
score is the last thing I think about when reflecting on how good my round was.

1. How was the ball striking?

I have a sense if I hit the ball well, or not well. If I can count on one hand the number of complete mi sh-t s, then that's decent. If I can count on hand then number of swings I want to take back... that's decent. If most of my shots were well struck, just missed a bit.... ball flight is decent.... I'm happy. If I keep my drives somewhat straight... actually, if I don't miss left with my driver, I'm really happy... and how many of my right misses were horrible, hopefully no more than 2....

2. How was the putting?
I want to hit the ball on line, and have good speed. this will manifest in how many bad 3 putts, and how many 7-12 footers did I make, and how many pars/5 footers did I save.

3. Course conditions/difficulty of course.

So you take the above 2, and put it in context. If the greens are fast, the putting is going to be tougher. IF the greens are slower... I can get chips close, and one putt a bunch. I won't hit many 5 ft past the hole (I might leave a few 7 ft short, though) If the greens are undulating, that's going to make it tougher as well. If the course has a ton of penalty areas, hard holes, elevation changes that make club selection difficult. Rough height. And then weather.

Whatever the score is... usually syncs with the above. While I'm interested in the score, and I like scoring well, I've stopped putting importance in the score. It's just another metric to track that reflects the state of my game.
 Message #98052
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday March 5, 2021 11:50 PM
I would find it difficult to take anything positive from a round where I just took 44 putts. However, to be fair, there may be some things in play that could somehow 'justify' your optimism. There's the possibility that you happened to hit a fair amount of greens in regulation at Eagle Glen...which might contribute to the lower 'other strokes' category...it's just that you managed to leave everything 50' from the hole. Given the relatively large size of Eagle Glen's putting surfaces, one could easily struggle to get down in two putts from any appreciable distance if that's what they faced all day long.

While you may feel you played fairly well from tee-to-green there, I'd be inclined to forget about the 'other strokes' and zero in on why you struggled so much on the greens; that's where the majority of your strokes were thrown away. I have no idea what your average putting statistics look like but I'd be willing to bet a 'normal' day would have resulted in you posting a sub-90 score.
 Message #98073 - This was a reply to message #98049
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Saturday March 6, 2021 5:15 AM
At eagle glen i had 11 fairways hit and 8 GIR, and yes all but 1 of the gir was a 3 putt all from distance. The greens were fast, I usually do not putt well at eagle glen but this was the highest i have had. My usual round is 30 to 33.
At jurupa I had 11 fairways with 4 GIR and the greens were not as fast or ungelating and had no 3 putts on girs
I don't think there is an issue, I just can't putt eagle glen and I do feel good about a round with 11 fairways and 8 girs, just forget putting at eagle glen.
I am not trying to play like the pros and play difficult conditions, just want to have fun and the pin placements and greens at eagle glen make it difficult to enjoy a round when your other stats are decent.
Yes even if i would have had 33 putts i would have shot 86, good round for me.
Even when I shot 81 at eagle glen I had 37 putts.

[[Edited by chevelle on Saturday March 6, 2021 8:37 AM]]
 Message #98074 - This was a reply to message #98073
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday April 20, 2021 2:56 PM
How about comparing your rounds to the rounds of others?

The new World Handicap System has a modifier that will adjust your score up/down based on how it compares to others rounds on the same course/same day. My understanding after a little research is that this kicks in if there are 8+ rounds posted same day @ the same course and your score deviates too much from how ever many the others were over/under their course handicaps. In other words, what everyone is expected to shoot.

I got my first "adjustment" this month, which I have to chuckle about. Playing as a 16 course handicap from the tees I played I shot a 95 @ Oasis (Palmer) last month.

C.R./SLOPE
71.3/134

DIFF

ADJ
+1

I was 3.1 OVER my projected course handicap on a tough course in a windy conditions. Windy conditions or not, a 95 is nothing to be happy about. Yet it was deemed a score above average enough compared to scores posted by the others that day that the handicapping system adjusted it down by 1 stroke, and gave me credit for a 94/18.1 differential?

Didn't count in my top 8 scores either way. Just that I would never have thought a score like that could be adjusted down for being considered "above average"?

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Wednesday April 21, 2021 8:17 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98626 - This was a reply to message #98074
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Tuesday April 20, 2021 4:43 PM
Not positive if this is the same thing, but I think they also make weather-based adjustments, right? You mentioned it being windy. Maybe that factored into the adjustment somehow?
 Message #98630 - This was a reply to message #98626
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Tuesday April 20, 2021 5:33 PM
I think its the same thing...see below for PCC in the GHIN system. I had an adjustment occur from a very windy round last Janurary(same day that chevelle played Sierra Lakes, I played Jurupa Hills). GHIN made a PCC adjustment of +1 for that course, that day. I had another round that was given a max PCC adjustment of +3, but not due to wind, this was rain. Everybody that played that wet course that day must have had just as much trouble scrambling as I did!

Q. What is the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) and how does it work?

A. At the end of each day, the Playing Conditions Calculation takes place automatically to determine if scores made at the course were significantly higher or lower than the expected scores of the players who made them, primarily due to weather and/or course set up.

If scores were abnormally low or high, a PCC adjustment between -1 and +3 will be applied to the Score Differentials of everyone who played that day. A negative (-) adjustment means the course played easier than expected and a positive (+) adjustment means the course played more difficult than expected. A PCC of 0 means the course played as expected, which will be the case on most days.

The PCC:

Uses scoring data so no action is required by the club/course staff or golfer (except for posting scores),
Includes only scores made by players with a Handicap Index of 36.0 or below,
Considers both 9-hole and 18-hole scores in the calculation, and
Only takes place if at least 8 scores were posted on a given day.

Message #98631 - This was a reply to message #98630
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday April 21, 2021 6:13 AM
So I have been wondering why my putts are up this year and I did the hole by hole comparison here from Jan to dec 2020 to Jan to April 2021 and I am 2 putts per round worse. Then I looked at fairways hit and I now am 6% better than last year. Then looked at GIR and I am 4% better this year than last year, so that is where my 2 plus putting is coming from. I am getting on the green more but not close to the flag so more 3 putts. You get better in some things and worse in others. Maybe I should go back to missing the green. LOL
 Message #98634 - This was a reply to message #98631

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]