mlslaw
Golf practice nets

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 5, 2021 9:24 PM
Since lockdown I've been using a practice net and like it a lot. Some folks believe nets possess no value since you can't see ball flight. Others think there is value since you can actually feel when you make clean contact. I'm in the second camp. How bout you?
 Message #98067
1PLUS1
RE: Golf practice nets

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday March 5, 2021 11:19 PM
Not a fan of hitting into nets whatsoever. Being able to obtain instant feedback with regards to ball flight and trajectory, to me, is paramount to assessing the state of one's ball-striking. They may be fine if you want to loosen up or spend an afternoon hitting a few balls in the backyard but don't be misled by the 'value of clean contact'; it doesn't always translate into the shot you're trying to hit, whether it be a draw, fade, or straight. I've hit plenty of those 'clean contact' shots over the years that did not end up where I had envisioned.

And the same holds true for club-fitting sessions conducted under the same circumstances. Hit a few different drivers into a net, look at the TrackMan numbers and purchase the one that generates the best numbers? Not this kid. Unless I can test the clubs outdoors, I find little benefit unless you're simply trying to narrow down the choices that feel like they may fit your swing as a preliminary step.
 Message #98071 - This was a reply to message #98067
hugepark

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday June 21, 2021 3:30 PM
For me, the convenience of being able to step into the backyard and hit as many balls as I like is invaluable, so having a net and a decent hitting mat has become essential and a part of my daily/weekly practice routine. I still go to the range occasionally to get a sense for ball flight, but I find the driving range brings all sorts of other complications that make it difficult to practice well -- namely, I always find myself trying to swing harder and hit the ball farther which messes me up.

At home, I focus on making clean contact and seeing where on the face my contact is happening. I also have a small radar launch monitor (the PRGR thing) that I use if I want to get a sense for relative swing/ball speed -- I only use it occasionally though.

I also like the ability to test and try new things with my swing any time I want, and it's much easier to take video recordings from as many angles as I want, which has become another important element to my practice.

Anyhow, hitting nearly every day (and all the aforementioned tinkering) has been really good for my game since installing my net and mat in the yard at the beginning of the pandemic. And it's definitely translated into better ball striking on the course. I ain't scratch yet, but have dropped a few strokes on my handicap in the last few months in particular. So I'm a big advocate of hitting nets.

[[Edited by hugepark on Monday June 21, 2021 3:31 PM]]
 Message #99321 - This was a reply to message #98067
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday June 22, 2021 7:42 AM
Yeah, obviously concur since I posted this topic last year. I think you can nicely tell when you hit a good shot (and bad) and it's great for tinkering. But there could be a downside. A pal in his mid 70s just tore a shoulder tendon maybe 6 months after installing his home hitting station. So, I'd say go easy on the net work and back off if you feel pain. This pal, BTW, does not have a smooth swing, kind of jerky in fact, and that may have been a factor.
 Message #99325 - This was a reply to message #99321
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday June 22, 2021 10:29 AM
1. there is value in grooving a swing to get clean contact, regardless of where you go. we all know when we aren't hitting it pure... so if you are off, and a practice session gets you back to the ball click sound, instead of the mat thud sound... you've accomplished something.

2. you can get a sense for ball flight and spin in a net: how the ball comes off the net tells you the spine. Basically, if the ball ricochets left, it's moving left, and vice versa... if it goes straight down, you don't have a side spin. So, you can look at where the ball hits the net relative to aimpoint, flight angle, and then look at how it ricochets... combined with how clean the contact is... that's useful information.

better than nothing imo.
 Message #99327 - This was a reply to message #99325
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Wednesday June 23, 2021 5:00 PM
Defintiely way better than nothing. Also use net practice with an adjustable tee. By hitting driver at various tee heights and observing the ball mark on the driver face, you can kind of dial in the tee height to where you want the strike to be. I was hitting way high on the face and dialed the tee down incrementally until I found the sweet spot. Turns out I was erring on teeing it up too high.
 Message #99337 - This was a reply to message #99327

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]