Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line o...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Itslikeimsayin
Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 10, 2021 9:04 AM
Forgot to bring this up after my round at San Clemente a couple weeks ago.

On the par-4 3rd hole, I hit my drive right of the fairway. For my approach shot, I had to contend with a giant tree further right, but had enough room under the bottom of the branches to hit a low shot directly toward the green. However, right on that line was one of those man-made green plastic boxes that presumably houses some sort of irrigation or electrical equipment. (About four feet tall, one foot wide.) It didn't interfere with my stance, swing or lie, because it was about 40 yards in front of me.

Was I entitled to relief here? I've done a few searches and can only find references to when the immovable obstruction interferes directly with the swing/stance, not on the line of play.

(I didn't take relief, tried to hit a fade around it and ended up hitting it! Lucky for me the ball kicked out into the fairway, so at least it didn't put me in an even worse spot. But if not for that box, my shot would've been pretty good.)
 Message #98129
mpisarski01
RE: Rules Question: Immovable Obstruction on Line of Play
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Wednesday March 10, 2021 9:21 AM
I cant imagine that you would get relief as it is 40 yards away and doesn't effect your swing. My suggestions is dont hit it there again.
 Message #98130 - This was a reply to message #98129
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday March 10, 2021 9:26 AM
I seem to recall the rules used to differentiate "man made" obstructions. That's why I'm asking. It's like a scoreboard, grandstand, or a hospitality tent at a Tour event. They get relief from those when between the player and the hole, right?

Edit to add: The difference is those are temporary immovable obstructions at a Tour event. This one is permanent, but I'm sure it's not deemed an essential part of the golf course.

[[Edited by Itslikeimsayin on Wednesday March 10, 2021 9:30 AM]]
 Message #98131 - This was a reply to message #98130
gary00
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Wednesday March 10, 2021 9:31 AM
so what if it was 10 feet away and still not interfering with swing or stance? seems to me that I have seen pros get relief from tv platforms etc oh and sprinkler heads. I believe relief is in order.
 Message #98132 - This was a reply to message #98130
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Wednesday March 10, 2021 10:00 AM
The only way you get relief is if the box interferes with your stance or swing. There is no line of sight relief for an electrical box that does not affect your stance or swing. Sorry but it looks like you just take your chances of not hitting the box.
 Message #98133 - This was a reply to message #98132
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday March 10, 2021 10:24 AM
QUOTED  but it looks like you just take your chances of not hitting the box.

Or in my case, how solidly can I can hit the box in question? May not be able to hit a 75 yard fairway to get myself in that position, but a 1' wide obstacle 4' tall 40 yards away I can unintentionally nail a disproportionately high % of the time.

I can nail the trunk of a single 12" wide palm tree 100 yards away with the best of them!

So for me Zach, the real ? is will the next recovery shot be in even worse shape?

But agree that unless there is a local rule to the contrary, you hit one of those boxes from 40 yards away you just have to play the next one where ever it bounces to from there.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98136 - This was a reply to message #98133
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday March 10, 2021 12:07 PM
QUOTED  But agree that unless there is a local rule to the contrary, you hit one of those boxes from 40 yards away you just have to play the next one where ever it bounces to from there.

Just to be clear, this isn't at all what I was asking. Of course once I played the shot I had to deal with the result of it. My question was whether or not I could've taken line of sight relief prior to hitting that shot.
 Message #98137 - This was a reply to message #98136
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday March 10, 2021 12:57 PM
No relief unless there is a local rule to the contrary.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98142 - This was a reply to message #98137
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Wednesday March 10, 2021 1:20 PM
I believe Oak Valley and Jurupa Hills(for example), both print on the scorecard that we get relief from those d@mn overhead power lines. I have hit them, and after my friends stop giggling, then I re-hit.

*if one were to hit the power lines two times in a row....I think he should get a raincheck round from the course. Just sayin.
 Message #98144 - This was a reply to message #98142
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday March 10, 2021 3:28 PM
QUOTED  Or in my case, how solidly can I can hit the box in question? May not be able to hit a 75 yard fairway to get myself in that position, but a 1' wide obstacle 4' tall 40 yards away I can unintentionally nail a disproportionately high % of the time.

LOL; welcome to the club!
 Message #98148 - This was a reply to message #98136

Listing 1 to 10 of 28 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]