Club Champion or Golftec

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday March 16, 2021 5:22 PM
I have a simple question. Where should I get fit for new clubs? I am a 62 year old man. I am currently playing Ping Eye 2 irons, and I've heard that they have some newer models out there. I'm leaning towards Club Champion. Please give me some experiential advice regarding why you feel a given fitter is best. I respect the opinions of the gk family tremendously. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
 Message #98245
FirstFlightFX-101
RE: Club Champion or Golftec
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Tuesday March 16, 2021 6:26 PM
No experience from me, sorry, but felt obligated to say that it is a good time to be alive to get fit/purchase new irons(except for the C19 delays...that's another thread). Just a few of the vast choices before you:
-steel vs graphite
-shaft weight ranges and profiles available
-grip sizing and weighting options
-counterweighting and vibration dampning
-club head styles, weighting(doping) and features
-combo sets, a hybrid or two at the top end
-and so on...

I'm guessing you will be busy wading through all this stuff available to us now...hope you have fun with it, and don't get frustrated in any way. Goose Creek GC is a supporter for GK and thier fitting and professional services seems to be pretty well reviewed. I pointed out thier fitting building they operate out of at the west end of the range, to Deepsea14 in our match in 2020. I shared with him that I would likely go there myself, for a future fitting and a player blueprint(me and narrowed preferences).
Cheers,
 Message #98246 - This was a reply to message #98245
mccad06

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 17, 2021 8:26 AM
I can't speak to the differences between GolfTec and Club Champion, but I did a full bag fitting thru Club Champion. I felt their process was good and got me into clubs that helped my game for the most part. My learnings:
- Unless you are used to hitting a ton of balls do not do a full bag fitting. I got very tired before we had done all of the testing and it probably affected my results. I strongly recommend breaking up the fitting into different types of clubs. It will be more expensive, but I think you will get a lot more out of the fitting that way.
- Club Champion pushed me toward gear that was very expensive and my sense was they were used to working with very good players. I am a mid-handicapper so forgiveness is a big part of club selection for me. They tended to focus on which clubs gave the best measurables, while forgiveness is much harder to measure.
- I found the putter fitting very interesting and informative, but it really didn't help my putting.
- If you are going to spend the money be thoughtful about what you hope to gain: distance, forgiveness, playability, etc.

Best of luck and enjoy the process.
 Message #98247 - This was a reply to message #98245
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday March 17, 2021 10:24 AM
I had to push off my fitting appointment earlier this month because of stitches from yet another skin procedure, but I am going to have it done by Todd Pallis at Plaza Golf in Torrance. Heard some good word of mouth recommendations over the years. I am rescheduled for next month. I will let you know how it goes.
 Message #98249 - This was a reply to message #98245
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 17, 2021 10:40 AM
The post above is great by mccad06. But I can't help not to chime in based on three of the guys I play with (two of them regularly) who went to Club Champion about two and a half years ago. I only hear their experience and how satisfied they were. All three of them did the full bag. Two of them were mid teen handicaps and one of them is a mid single.
I see the two mid teen's results (mostly in irons) have completely improved. One has become 10-11 because of it. The other dipped down to a 6-8.
The mid single started losing his sight, but for a year and a half or so, he was almost a scratch with the new fitted clubs. But because of his sight, he's now around 8-10.
I know you weren't asking for end results, but I just had to share how well the experiences paid off for them at ClubChamp. I can't afford it and still tinkering on my own. Which probably have turned out to be more expensive than just going there.
Good luck!
JVGA
 Message #98251 - This was a reply to message #98245
thingstodo
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Boo Weekly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cypress Ridge

Saturday March 20, 2021 7:53 PM
I did the whole bag fitting as well at club champion in Newport.
Ended up spending a lot on new irons and a new driver.
Bought wedges from another retailer and also fairway woods. I did order a shaft from them afterwards for the 3 wood.
Again another $200

Putter I had actually was not recommended I change.
I was shocked as I had in the previous two years went through about 25 of them haha!

Agree with the comment on hitting so many balls it affects your mind and swing.
I ended up selling the irons (huge loss)and keeping the driver.

I ended up doing another iron fitting at golfsmith before they closed. And ordered a set direct from the manufacture.
Very happy with this purchase. Hdcp down 1.5.

Was it worth it? Not really, but now I know and do not need to experiment or wonder anymore.
 Message #98271 - This was a reply to message #98245
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Sunday March 21, 2021 12:24 PM
I took lessons at GolfTec and got fitted for irons a couple years later a Club Champion.

The fitting is only for a 6 iron and they base everything on that. The clubs were very expensive (like $220 per iron with basic Rogue heads) The clubs haven't noticeably helped my game but I do believe the shafts were superior to my old irons. I'm just now starting to figure out that they may have made an error with club length. It's boring, but all my previous irons were longer shaft length (my wedges still are) based on my height. I think my swing is fine for a little shorter 6 iron where you have to bend the club a little to make it lie flat but that as you get closer to to the wedges, the steps should have been smaller. I always feel like I'm reaching with my PW but my longer shafted older gap wedge is very comfortable.

I contacted them recently about this but since it's been a couple of years, they (as expected) didn't feel the need to help rectify the problem except at their full "off the street" price. They also defended fitting a single iron and no others.

So this year, I'll be adding a little length to my irons to see if that helps.

I personally won't be using Club Champion again - it's like taking your car to the dealership - it's premium, you pay for it, it's corporate, you get whatever fitter they give you and a set amount of time to be fit. It's better than just going to some random guy for a fitting but not as good as going to a specific person whose reputation is trusted by people you trust. I don't think it's a mistake to use them, but I will look elsewhere for any future fittings.

Has anyone been to Club Champion and had them say: "You don't really need a new club"?
 Message #98272 - This was a reply to message #98245
mcantos

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bayonet

Monday March 22, 2021 7:55 PM
If you’re looking to save money, stay away from both of these companies as you will pay through the nose, if that’s still a term. I would try Club Fix in Costa Mesa or Cool Clubs at Oak Creek in Irvine or you can try Plaza Golf in Torrance. True Spec is another place I would recommend. Use your free stimulus money and quit putting it off, you won’t regret it...

[[Edited by mcantos on Monday March 22, 2021 8:49 PM]]
 Message #98282 - This was a reply to message #98245
rudyclub
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Saturday March 27, 2021 4:30 PM
Did a driver fitting today at Club Champion $150. He asked me if I had any preference on any Manufactures. Started out with my own driver to get a base, then went through 6 or 7 different shafts on the new Taylor Made head. Narrowed it down to two shafts that were producing the best numbers. Then started going through the rest of main name brands of Calloway, Titleist and Ping with those two shaft combos. It was a lot of club swinging. You definitely need to take your time and try and put your most "Normal" swing that you can on each one. The results showed that the new Ping and a Trono 65 shaft produced the best and consistent numbers which was showing an increase of about 10-15 yrds over my currant set up. As the cost of this new driver set up is going through my mind. Thinking ..ok it's probably going to be near $800 for this set up and can I justify the cost? I almost choked on the water I was drinking when he showed me the cost at over $1,100.00. That was an easy "A Nooooo...." It was interesting experience and I'm glad I did it. Seeing your swing on the Trackman numbers is very cool. Would love to have one of those, but that is definitely out of my budget! Seeing the cost of the best "set up" was a little of a let down, but over all was happy with the experience.

[[Edited by rudyclub on Saturday March 27, 2021 4:57 PM]]
 Message #98332 - This was a reply to message #98282
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Saturday March 27, 2021 5:04 PM
QUOTED  I almost choked on the water I was drinking when he showed me the cost at over $1,100.00. That was an easy "A Nooooo...." It was interesting experience and I'm glad I did it.

Agree Tim. When I was getting fitted for a TaylorMade SIM @ PGA Superstore the guy brought out a really upgraded shaft that I was killing. Would have made a TaylorMade SIM close to $1,500 after tax with that shaft model. I don't need to extra yards bad enough to even consider shelling out that much for a Driver was my assessment.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98333 - This was a reply to message #98332

Listing 1 to 10 of 17 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]