GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Angeles North

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 26, 2021 8:53 AM
Hey there!

Has anyones handicap ever determined whether or not you wanted to pay for a caddie?

My index is currently 13.5 and I will be playing a new course soon that does offer caddie service.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
 Message #99031
mpisarski01
RE: Caddie Service + Handicap
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Wednesday May 26, 2021 9:04 AM
Are you looking for a permanent caddie? Or just a one off. If you have never used a caddy its worth it to try once. It makes a world of difference IMO when playing a new course as they provide suggestions on where to hit and having them on the greens is the biggest benefit that I noticed.
 Message #99032 - This was a reply to message #99031
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Wednesday May 26, 2021 9:17 AM
QUOTED  Has anyones handicap ever determined whether or not you wanted to pay for a caddie?

Hey Bake a caddie will make your game shake! (poet and I don't know it)

IMO the higher your handicap the more you need a caddy! Well almost.

New venue (old course playing for first time I assume) using a looper will be better than playing without one.

My friend Alex326 will probably post and he has most experience with using a caddie of anyone I know. A resource for names of ones he prefers in the Monterey area. If you name the course others here maybe able to personalize it for you with a reference

Thoughts: Read greens. Provide history and course facts. You feel like a pro walking unencumbered. on and on...

Final: try it. It's just fun.

Personal side bar: Used one at Poppy Hills for the Sr NET amateur now a few years in the rear-view. I'm a 20.x something index. (believe it or not) Three days first day a "practice" round Weekend net tour event. 107. Monday first day of Sr. 108 with a caddie would have been worse but he helped on a few putts I had WAY off line and that's the best part of my game. 2nd day 107. Don't hold me to the exact numbers but that's as close as I can remember and pretty sh-t ty. But the round with the caddie was the best one. Nice young man and today I can't remember his name of what he looked like.
Parallel to experience of Skiing with a private guide or instructor as an expert skier. If you don't know the mountain vital to get to the goods (better lines, POWDER) as efficiently as possible. Could go it alone and learn it that way. Both fun and the guide is costly but when finished I hand him a $50 tip because it was that much betta! Good day!
Ps I tipped the caddie too. He was a college student living the dream.

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Wednesday May 26, 2021 9:18 AM]]
 Message #99033 - This was a reply to message #99031
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday May 26, 2021 9:24 AM
QUOTED  Hey there!

Has anyones handicap ever determined whether or not you wanted to pay for a caddie?

My index is currently 13.5 and I will be playing a new course soon that does offer caddie service.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

More than your handicap, a better determinant of whether the caddie's services should be utilized are your game/attitude. There are some guys who I know in the single digits who wouldn't take advice from a PGA pro and other friends of similar skill who utilize the reads a caddie gives you to shave strokes off their score. Are you the type of person who can take what they say and not let it affect your mental fortitude? You would be surprised at the amount of people who finish a round with a caddie and walk away more indifferent than thankful.

I would say depending on the course, try it if you can afford it. If you are playing a Pebble-caliber course, it would be useful, especially if you have never played there before. I just had one at Bighorn and although I used him more to keep my attitude light on bad shots, his reads and suggestions were helpful 90% of the time.
 Message #99034 - This was a reply to message #99031
tooBaked
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Angeles North

Wednesday May 26, 2021 9:55 AM
Thanks all,

This is super helpful so far. I am just looking for a one off caddie while down in San Diego.

We live in Mammoth and are headed down for Memorial Day. Was going to book Maderas for Sunday morning as a single.

The main reason I would leverage a caddie is reading greens, helping track balls off tees, shot selection/yardage advice, and general course knowledge.

As far as my game, I am there to have fun and enjoy what is around me. I will have a few drinks and smokes on the course. I take it serious and follow all rules and etiquette, but I am not being like a Billy Horschel if I hit a bad shot. I try to shoot in the 80's, sometimes high 80's, mostly low to mid 90's. I think I scramble well and I lose a good amount of strokes on the green, where on a new course, I am hoping a caddie would help out.

Thanks!
 Message #99036 - This was a reply to message #99034
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 27, 2021 10:06 AM
QUOTED  Are you looking for a permanent caddie? Or just a one off. If you have never used a caddy its worth it to try once. It makes a world of difference IMO when playing a new course as they provide suggestions on where to hit and having them on the greens is the biggest benefit that I noticed.

Totally agree. The benefits will be worth it. Especially when playing a course for the first time. And make sure you "know before you go" and read all the recent review of the course. And print out any tips that are posted. I think that helpful hint on GK is often overlooked.
 Message #99045 - This was a reply to message #99032
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday May 27, 2021 10:36 AM
Tom, really like Maderas. The Maderas layout for the most part is pretty much what you see is what you get. Few blind shots, and you can tell by looking that some balls will roll one way or the other based on the slope of the fairways. #1 is going left toward the hazard on your opening tee shot. So you do not want a draw off the tee down the left side as an example.

Large greens that are easy to 3 putt, with holes going up/down rolling hills. If you want the experience and price is no issue, DEFINITELY go with the caddie. But a caddie can only do so much if you are consistently leaving yourself 75+' putts on those huge greens.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99046 - This was a reply to message #99045
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 27, 2021 12:02 PM
It's good and stress-less to be with a caddy no matter the handicap is, and especially on a new course.
Have a great time!
JVGA
 Message #99047 - This was a reply to message #99031

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]