US Open Torrey Pines 2021
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: US Open Torrey Pines 2021

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Deepsea14
US Open Torrey Pines 2021
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 18, 2021 1:08 PM
Bubba Watson = Driver off the deck excitement! DOD

Making it look easy out there in San Diego. And looking good for his LINKSOUL sponsor I might add.

9th hole Par 5 574 yards.

After busting drives of 300+ it's DOD both days for easy birdies. -3 total / -4 for the day / T3 in the clubhouse.

For those keeping score at home that's page 07 of the summer 2021 catalog.

Printed ANZA polo in the sand heather. Well dressed at address.

Anybody else tuning into the tournament yet?
 Message #99271
dconnally
RE: US Open Torrey Pines 2021

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Friday June 18, 2021 2:45 PM
Greens are a lot softer than I expected. Guys stopping the ball on the greens out of the rough regularly.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #99272 - This was a reply to message #99271
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Friday June 18, 2021 3:25 PM
I was there all day Thursday and Torrey is not playing like a US open course. Fun day, other than them running out of food at a couple of the concession stands and having no TP in any of the bathrooms towards the middle/end of the day, oh and the POS system shutting down multiple times at all the concession stands throughout the day as well. $160 bucks a ticket might get some better conditions if you ask me.

Enough about the mistakes taking care of the patrons or whatever the USGA calls us. The course is just long and boring and the rough is high but I have seen it worse. It is very spotty and some of these guys are not having any problems moving the ball out of it. My opinion is this course is just kind of boring and long and does not offer any plays other than "Hit it long and straight and fly it high and land it on the green" I gotta say that there are really only a handful of guys that will win out here, just like the regular event at Torrey. They really need to stop coming to this course for the US Open, way more interesting places out there. Maybe shave a bunch of the greens and have run off areas, bring more of the canyons into play, especially on six and seven, and they need to firm up the greens. That would help give this course some more interesting play.

Just my two cents....
 Message #99274 - This was a reply to message #99272
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday June 18, 2021 7:45 PM
Cut moving to +4 kept many "names" playing the weekend...
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99275 - This was a reply to message #99274
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Saturday June 19, 2021 8:27 AM
After a few holes a few (4) on the cut-line would be home going to +5 / +6.

Big name Jordan Spieth one of those at +4

QUOTED  Fun day, other than them running out of food at a couple of the concession stands and having no TP in any of the bathrooms towards the middle/end of the day,

That's a bummer. I suppose it'd been worse if the cold beer taps went dry.
QUOTED  They really need to stop coming to this course for the US Open, way more interesting places out there.

Yeah have to mostly agree with this. The course geography on the coast is nice. The finishing holes it's like your in an office park of buildings. Oh wait that's what it is to the east. Is there another suitable venue in SoCal for a National Championship? More than just a great golf course is needed.

South course 3rd hole one of my favorite 3 pars of all time. Played it for my 50th. North course overall because one of my career low Cali rounds.
(84 ; 8/2013) But my overall impression is unless you are a county resident it's an overpriced round for the average golfer. Many on vaca will just give them their card and go because of the reputation.

I got my guy. He'll be on TV today. Bubba, Bubba, Bubba...
 Message #99277 - This was a reply to message #99275
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday June 19, 2021 5:10 PM
Don’t know about all ya all but I like the leader board. Lots of good stories, big names in position and a few Cinderella’s mixed in. Should be fun!
 Message #99287 - This was a reply to message #99272
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday June 19, 2021 11:18 PM
QUOTED  Is there another suitable venue in SoCal for a National Championship?

The USGA seems to think so considering it'll be there in two years: LACC North.
 Message #99297 - This was a reply to message #99277
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Sunday June 20, 2021 3:46 PM
Was that Jim streaking on number 13? We can all put in for bail money.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #99302 - This was a reply to message #99297
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Sunday June 20, 2021 10:16 PM
I really need to know how the Torrey regulars feel about how th USGA set up the course. I would love to see more cut down areas and shaved banks. I saw the thick rough save a couple shots that should of been gone.
 Message #99305 - This was a reply to message #99302
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday June 21, 2021 1:58 PM
QUOTED  I really need to know how the Torrey regulars feel about how th USGA set up the course.

Me too.
6/2/2021 bigdana and rat-patrol reports are my references and the rough didn't seem as bad off the fairways as they described.
Many thick spots around greens and imo for the national championship more shaved areas in strategic places around the greens were needed.
Not to roll into a penalty area but well off and into thick spinach to pitch back onto putting surface.

Enjoyed the whole thing. And as far as the USGA they got their score around par. 12 guys broke it 6 by one stroke.

Best putter on the back 9 won it. One bad swing by Louis cost him.

Best player in the world the last month was identified. Jon Rahm which I kind of knew already.
 Message #99320 - This was a reply to message #99305

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]