Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Snapped Driver Match Play - Decision?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Snapped Driver Match Play - Decision?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
Snapped Driver Match Play - Decision?

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 12, 2021 2:47 PM
So I snapped my driver shaft pulling it out of my car the night before my match with Itslikeimsayin the next morning at Reflection Bay. With no time to fix it, I had a decision to make... What decision would you have made?

Borrow a driver from Reflection Bay for the match?

Play the match minus your driver yet knowing you're using all clubs you are familiar with?

I should add that the day before I was hitting my driver very well on the back nine at Las Vegas Paiute.

I decided to move up a tee for our match and use my 2i off the tee. Different game being over 50 yards in most cases behind my normal tee ball yardage and hitting longer clubs on approach. However also very nice to always be playable after my tee shot (one mess up Hole #6). I won the Match but that had more to do with Itslikeimsayin having an off day than how I played IMO. If I had to do it again, I would make the same decision. No point in trying to figure out a new club during a competition. By the back nine I dialed in my 2-iron and played very well down the stretch. Never could get my long approach shot game going but I did keep it in play for my short game to save me, which it did.

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday July 12, 2021 2:48 PM]]
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99443
sparky14
RE: Snapped Driver Match Play - Decision?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Monday July 12, 2021 3:09 PM
I would have borrowed a driver, but only use it for those holes where my 3w would not suffice. My 2 iron has been used as a garden stake for at least a decade.

Of course, anyone who knows me know that I always have extra shafts or drivers in my bag, for that matter, several bag of clubs in my trunk, so I would never have your problem.

[[Edited by sparky14 on Monday July 12, 2021 3:12 PM]]
 Message #99444 - This was a reply to message #99443
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Monday July 12, 2021 6:02 PM
If a decent replacement option was available, would have probably borrowed a Driver from the course and made the best of it.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99445 - This was a reply to message #99443
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday July 12, 2021 6:09 PM
Two things come into play here. First, are you able to screw on a new shaft to your current driver head? I'm assuming that answer is no. Otherwise it would be a get a shaft that's as close to your original and keep the driver in play.

Second. Knowing that Reflection Bay only has hitting bays with nets for a range, makes it much harder of a decision. That on top of you have an older style driver means borrowing something will be completely different feel wise with no real change to warm up with it (and see ball flight). But you might not have a whole lot of swings with the 2i either.

It boils down to which one YOU think would give you more confidence keeping the ball in play. Henrik Stenson has made a decent living with only a 3 wood off the tee.

I just completed a 3 day tournament in June. Day 1 - Driver solid; score = 95; Day 2- Driver so/so and got benched at the end; Score=85 Day 3- Driver horrible and was benched after 4 holes. Score = 86. Point being is you don't need a driver to score well.

Question is are you going with an entirely new driver for replacement or re-shafting the current old faithful?
 Message #99446 - This was a reply to message #99444
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Monday July 12, 2021 9:30 PM
QUOTED  Question is are you going with an entirely new driver for replacement or re-shafting the current old faithful?

Re-shafting for sure.
QUOTED  Otherwise it would be a get a shaft that's as close to your original and keep the driver in play.

Absolutely

QUOTED  Second. Knowing that Reflection Bay only has hitting bays with nets for a range, makes it much harder of a decision. That on top of you have an older style driver means borrowing something will be completely different feel wise with no real change to warm up with it (and see ball flight).

That ... and it was already 100+ so no way I wanted to be in an outside hitting bay amplifying the heat. AC felt oh so good in the clubhouse.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99447 - This was a reply to message #99446
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Wednesday July 14, 2021 7:26 PM
Long live the 2-iron! I've yet to put my driver issues behind me and confidence with it comes in short waves, but the 2-iron has come to my rescue time and time again. At worst, my tee shots are shorter but much more often in play as opposed to bad (or topped) drives. I can recover more often from my 2-iron misses, but when it's on, I don't really lose all that much but hit more fairways. I have recorded a 2-iron long of 281 but I would say the average is between 245-265. More often than not I can live with that, especially if I'm flushing long irons.
 Message #99459 - This was a reply to message #99447
Hogan

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Golf Club of Ca..LaPurisi

Wednesday July 14, 2021 8:03 PM
I always carry an extra driver, extra putter, and an extra pair of golf shoes, in my trunk, just in case, and. I also have a roll of toilet paper in my bag. One time a lady came out of the facility, and was not happy about the lack of paper, I gave her my Emergency roll, and I had a friend for life. Who knew??? Drive safely, stay healthy, CGG...
 Message #99460 - This was a reply to message #99459
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Wednesday July 14, 2021 10:46 PM
QUOTED  One time a lady came out of the facility, and was not happy about the lack of paper, I gave her my Emergency roll, and I had a friend for life. Who knew???

LMAO! - Good Man!
QUOTED  I always carry an extra driver, extra putter, and an extra pair of golf shoes, in my trunk, just in case,

Not a bad idea - Thanks
 Message #99462 - This was a reply to message #99460
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Wednesday July 14, 2021 10:58 PM
QUOTED  Long live the 2-iron!

Can't hit my 2 iron worth a darn off the fairway but tee it up 1/2 an inch, I'm solid with a predicable draw: 230 - 250.

While my driver is down, I've put a 5-wood in my bag for for long fairway shots: 230 - 250
3-hybrid in the bag for fairway shots: 215 - 230 + grip down long shots from the rough.
3 iron in the bag for fairway 200 - 215 and for low shots to get out of trouble (inspired by Seve).

Besides my Hotdog putter, driver is my favorite club in the bag. I love bombing drives. So this is going to be an adjustment but one I'm looking forward to enjoying.
 Message #99463 - This was a reply to message #99459
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday July 15, 2021 4:51 AM
Time for a Driver upgrade John.

Sure nice to be able to change out a shaft yourself with a wrench/hex screw. Or modify your loft if you choose. Takes about 30 seconds to change shafts or modify a currently 9 degree Driver in .25 degree increments to anywhere from 7.5 to 10.5 degrees yourself.

I compare that to the days where you were stuck with the loft of the Driver unless you had it bent and modified by someone who knew what they were doing. Often not close by and inconvenient. Plus extra cost. And unless you had the equipment and know how to do it yourself, it always meant leaving clubs and coming back days later to get them. Very rare they could reshaft same day.

Many reputable golf shops have dozens of different Driver shafts on hand. Put on the proper tip for a modern Driver, and you can quickly change them yourself. Find out which tips are interchangeable with the different companies. You could swap out and try a buddies Driver shaft on the course for 9 holes.

Sparky14 traded a 3W with me. Unscrew the shaft, drop shipped the heads to each other. Couple of days later we were both playing the other 3W head on our previous shafts. Steve educated me on how easy it was.

Time for a Driver upgrade John.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99465 - This was a reply to message #99463

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]