Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
What is the best CALLED shot you have ever witn...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: What is the best CALLED shot you have ever witnessed in person by a mere mortal?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
What is the best CALLED shot you have ever witnessed in person by a mere mortal?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 20, 2021 2:38 PM
Sometimes we are fortunate enough to witness great golf shots. Maybe even occasionally hit them ourselves. But just because a shot was close or went in the hole, usually only the one hitting it knows if it was done exactly in the way they intended.

Ever had someone explain exactly what they were going to do that was about a 9.9 degree of difficulty out of 10 and then they did exactly that?

Playing a GK Cup match many years ago with Tim Owen (nodoubles22) @ Skylinks. I had played the course once before but did not remember many of the holes. Tim grew up playing it and was serving as my competitor/tour guide all wrapped in one.

Setting the stage, Tim is long off the tee by almost anyone's standards and has alot of game. Hole on the back @ Skylinks, a dogleg left par 4. (Hole 14 maybe?) Tim has been waiting on this hole. Calls me over with a twinkle in his eye to stand behind him. Points his Driver to a natural V between 2 tall trees guarding the dogleg and explains that is his line to have a go at the par 4 green in 1. He says he needs to draw it, hitting it about 325 yards total and that would place him perfectly in line with the green.

All already hard enough. Except this V was at least 200 yards from the tee, about 50' off the ground and maybe 15 yards wide?

Tim hits a rocket, beautiful high draw that split the V perfectly. Actually hit it too well. He went OVER the par 4 in one, right through the green and was chipping back.

No way I could even attempt that line. So I went around the trees with a draw, in the fairway within SW distance. Easily one of my best drives of the day. However, didn't make me feel all that great about a drive I killed by my standards following that.

It wasn't JUST that he drove it over a dogleg left par 4 in one. It was that he perfectly described every aspect of the shot he was going to try and hit, then did exactly that, threading the needle in the process.

Easily one of the most amazing shots I have ever seen in close to 50 years of golfing.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Sunday August 22, 2021 9:36 AM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99797
Rat-Patrol
RE: What is ther best called shot in golf you have ever seen?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday August 20, 2021 2:55 PM
“In your life! . . .” Verne Lundqist
 Message #99798 - This was a reply to message #99797
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday August 20, 2021 8:29 PM
I agree with Jim and I've also seen nodoubles22 pull off a great shot to drive a par 4.

The one of my own that comes to mind was maybe about 5-6 years ago at Pala Mesa when my approach shot carried too far over the green and almost into deep trouble about 10 yards off the back. With a fast green running away from me, my only chance to get close was a full swing flop shot that would need to land on the fringe and trickle to the hole. I did exactly that, with the ball landing softly, releasing onto the green, taking the huge, bending right-to-left break and rolling about 30 feet into the hole for birdie.
 Message #99799 - This was a reply to message #99798
kevbig
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Friday August 20, 2021 10:18 PM
I remember calling the great Johnny GK's chip in at Laughlin Ranch years ago. Even if he didn't know it at the time there is video of the shot!
 Message #99801 - This was a reply to message #99800
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday August 20, 2021 11:46 PM
I didn't call it beforehand, but seeing kevbig's name reminded me of the first time we met right before a GK Event round at Monarch Dunes. We both hit great looking approach shots into a stiff breeze on the demanding par-4 opening hole, and I jokingly said to Kevin, "I hope that hole is big enough for both of our balls." We got up to the green and mine was in the hole and his was about 3 feet.
 Message #99802 - This was a reply to message #99801
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday August 21, 2021 5:22 AM
Oh yeah, whoops.
 Message #99803 - This was a reply to message #99800
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Saturday August 21, 2021 10:26 AM
Have to relay my own 'call' since I don't recollect any playing partner predicting and then pulling off an extraordinary shot that would qualify.

Was playing Rams Hill in its' original configuration many years ago with my then-young daughter in tow. Facing a shot from 100 yards into the wind on the Par-5 12th hole in two, she asked what I planned to do. I proceeded to tell her I was going to hit a knockdown PW into the bank that separated the upper and lower tiers of the green, some 8'-10' beyond the flag, and draw the ball back towards the cup.

Hit the shot exactly as intended, solid and straight at the pin, then watched in astonishment as the ball PLUGGED directly into the bank, six feet past the cup! Apparently the sprinklers had been turned on for a bit prior to my arrival. We both had a good laugh at my 'misfortune' but the slope made it impossible to keep the ball from rolling towards the cup when I attempted to mark it so I ended up with a tap-in birdie...and near eagle. That shot always came to mind whenever I played the hole during subsequent rounds.
 Message #99805 - This was a reply to message #99797
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday August 21, 2021 5:57 PM
We were playing at a GK outing just above the Mexico border. Do not remember the name of the course or the hole. We hit nice drives but Chris was a bit short so her line to the green was either over some trees or through an opening about half the size of a sliding glass door. She said, "Well I can do that!" Then she proceeded to hit a perfect shot right through the opening and on the green. Very impressive!
 Message #99810 - This was a reply to message #99805
kevbig

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Saturday August 21, 2021 8:18 PM
QUOTED  I didn't call it beforehand, but seeing kevbig's name reminded me of the first time we met right before a GK Event round at Monarch Dunes. We both hit great looking approach shots into a stiff breeze on the demanding par-4 opening hole, and I jokingly said to Kevin, "I hope that hole is big enough for both of our balls." We got up to the green and mine was in the hole and his was about 3 feet.

Something neither of us will ever forget!
 Message #99812 - This was a reply to message #99802
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Saturday August 21, 2021 9:29 PM
I've seen Tim make a few of those - predominantly at my expense!

There's no better feeling than when you envision a difficult but necessary shot and go through all the steps to try and get it just right ... and when it actually comes off, it's such a tremendous feeling of accomplishment.

One of my own favorites was at Los Amigos, on the difficult par 4 16th hole. It's a dogleg left with water down the left and straight until the bridge, and many trees left to block anything short. You must hit an absolutely perfect drive straight and about 220-230 and no more to be in good position for the green on the opposite side of the creek.

I hit what I thought was a great drive, but it came up just short and the final two trees guarding the green are two field goal-esque palm trees about 30 feet tall. With 150 yards to the flag, lined up my 9i right through the middle of the trees (only about 3-4 feet between them) as the pin was directly between them. Hit it absolutely flush and straight to within 3 feet or so and sank the birdie putt.

I had called it to my friends playing as I made up my mind to take the shot on. Feeling was immense.

I think I tripled 17 after that. ;-p

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Sunday August 22, 2021 9:34 AM]]
 Message #99814 - This was a reply to message #99812

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]