Brooks or Bryson?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Brooks or Bryson?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1
Nickesquire
Brooks or Bryson?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday August 31, 2021 9:08 AM
Fans heckling PGA Tour golfers has went back at least 60 years. To the days when some members of "Arnie's Army" were calling Nicklaus "Fat Jack" when he was beginning to upstage Arnold.

From what I have read, Arnold did what he could to stop it. And he/Jack became friends and admirers of each other as well as rivals for decades where it could have been ugly.

The Ryder Cup has perhaps become the best example of boorish fan behavior on both sides of the pond.

Do you encourage and pull FOR your guy/team or try and discourage and pull AGAINST their main opponent?

"Rabbit Ears" definitely affect some golfers more than others. Used to attend the L.A. Open with a buddy who now lives in Michigan. Scott is about 6'6" and at that time had flaming red hair. Scott took a particular dislike to a young Ian Poulter when he was first playing in the U.S.

Scott mimic's accents well and at that time had a job that regularly took him to England. He could pass himself off to most as a Brit. Never during a shot, but between shots, Poulter was fair game. Speaking very loudly, Scott started commenting about "how smashing Ian looked in his tight white pants". Poulter was looking around after every comment and finally figured out who his heckler was. And here is this 6'6" guy with fire hair, arms crossed with a you can't do anything about it attitude on his face.

Poulter bends down to read a putt.... oh I just LOVE it when Ian bends over in those smashing white pants! in a booming British accent... many in the crowd were chuckling. Poulter's face was red as a stop sign. Luckily for Poulter, we started following another group after a few holes.

U.S. players were not immune either. Long time tour player Bob Estes was young then and he topped a shot with a fairway wood. From about a fairway over Scott yelled "What a hack" and Estes head was on a swivel as he walked to his next shot trying to figure out of that had been directed at him. It was Bob.

2 questions for the group to ponder?

1-Is the Brooks/Bryson "rivalry" good for the PGA Tour?

2-Are you a Brooks or Bryson fan?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99890
mpisarski01
RE: Brooks or Bryson?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Tuesday August 31, 2021 10:53 AM
I dislike them both.

Bryson is not that bad but the "Golf Bro" Culture blew this out of proportion because Brooks gives off the Golf Bro vibe so they are always going to side with him.
 Message #99891 - This was a reply to message #99890
ashtonstine
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday August 31, 2021 2:00 PM
I have many thoughts on this "issue". I definitely think the "rivalry" is good for the game of golf in that it gets more people talking about the sport, more coverage on sports news shows, and maybe some new fans. However, this increased fandom also has the effect of bringing in those that are not fully accustomed to the finer nuances of what is expected of a golf tournament patron.

To me, as someone who was introduced to the game at a young age by my dad, we would frequently watch tournaments together on TV. Maybe it was just the rose-colored glasses of being young, but it always seemed that golf had spectators that knew how to behave at a tournament and weren't there to heckle. Sure there were people that the galleries would pull harder for, but good play/shots always seemed to be met with cheers, regardless of who it was. Now, it has apparently become funny to call someone by a different name and heckle like you are at a college football game, when the two sports couldn't be further apart. To me, golf was always about rooting for your player to do well and win on their merits rather than rooting for others to do bad and heckling them to achieve that goal.

Now like you mentioned, the Ryder Cup is a little different, and I've always enjoyed watching that, so maybe that makes me a hypocrite. But in my head, I rationalize the dichotomy in thought in the sense that Ryder Cup is ultimately a team event, like the college football example mentioned earlier, so there is somehow a place for the heckling. Again, I could be entirely misguided in that.

I enjoy watching Bryson play and enjoy seeing him push the limits, but I don't "hate" Brooks by any means. At the end of the day, I enjoy watching top quality golf, and while there are guys that I will pull harder for (Spieth, JT, Bryson, Tiger), I can appreciate the insane talent that Tour players have.
 Message #99897 - This was a reply to message #99890
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday August 31, 2021 3:17 PM
The 'modern' golf game has definitely got a different look and feel to it, from the swing itself to the way the game is played. Unfortunately, that applies to crowd behavior as well, where the vibe has sunk to a Delta House frat boy level. It's gotten to the point where listening to the audio feed while watching a tournament has become a test of one's nerves and patience...and not because of some announcer's inane commentary. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone yell "Get in the hole!" in that split second the golf ball leaves the club face, I'd already be holding my dream set of Yoro Craft Mizuno irons in my hands.

Funny, but I never hear that obnoxious crap when I watch the LPGA Tour and the same basically holds true whenever I tune in to the European Tour events. I'm sure there are exceptions but, by and large, the American men's tour events are the absolute worst.

As far as the Brooks vs. Bryson saga goes, rivalries are good for sports and things are even more interesting when there's a genuine mutual dislike between the combatants. However, the PGA Tour, intent on maximizing their exposure...or should I say, revenue...is dealing with a slippery slope here. The Brooks-Bryson spat has obviously created a buzz and more exposure but the manner in which it has manifested itself has them backed into a corner. Where do they draw the line...and should they? In golf's previous era, the battle was confined to the playing field. Nowadays, thanks to social media, there's the added 'bonus' of personal sniping that goes on 24/7 for those who thrive on that sort of nonsense, which Koepka and DeChambeau have been more than willing to engage in.

Guys have been heckled by galleries in the past...Colin Montgomerie and Sergio Garcia immediately come to mind...but today's 'fans' have taken the verbal abuse to an entirely different level. It's gotten so ridiculous that yelling "Brooksie" will now get you ejected from a golf tournament. Sign of the times I guess.

Personally, I couldn't care less about either one of them. I don't have any opinion whatsoever about Koepka; he just never piqued my interest and doesn't come across as an engaging personality to begin with. On the other hand, DeChambeau is so easy to dislike but has only himself to blame. A bit too self-centered and with a 'smartest guy in the room' superiority complex that turns me off (reminds me of Mickelson). And he's prone to playing the victim when things don't go his way rather than acknowledge his own failings. When you come right down to it, he's his own worst enemy.
 Message #99898 - This was a reply to message #99890
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday August 31, 2021 3:44 PM
Can't you see?

Orchestrated events, rivalries, issues, and controversies.

Anybody a wrestling fan? Vince McMahon didn't make multi-millions (billion?) without some good ole rumble tumble. Sure everybody ain't pals but at the end of the day they're ALL happy all the way to the bank. Piper's Pit anyone?

The weekend BMW event should have had more focus on Eric Von Royeen moved from 45th to 27th on the list to make the Tour Championship.
I'm sure he's not balking at the $395,000 just for showing up. $15 million for the win and there giving strokes crazy fun!

Have to wonder if Lee Trevino, Paul Azinger (speaking of TV commentators) , or Eric has the hardest callouses on their hands from practice at comparable times in their careers. Just sayin' not judging. Different eras.

Bigger muscles Byson or Brooks? 4 rounds with a four day time limit this weekend. Battle it out then we're best buds for Ryder Cup. USA!!!
 Message #99899 - This was a reply to message #99898
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday September 1, 2021 1:52 PM
QUOTED  Battle it out then we're best buds for Ryder Cup. USA!!!

USA Ryder Cup teammates?

Let's go down the list...

Reed could make the team and he seems to be disliked by many of his peers. And that feeling seems mutual. In fact, many of the top players seem to have at least one potential teammate they do not really care for.

Forget strategy. Is it now the Ryder Cup captain's main criteria for team picking to send out players in every team session who will not be at each others throats by the time they are holing out on 18?

QUOTED  Anybody a wrestling fan? Vince McMahon didn't make multi-millions (billion?) without some good ole rumble tumble. Sure everybody ain't pals but at the end of the day they're ALL happy all the way to the bank. Piper's Pit anyone?

Kopeka and Dechambeau as a team? I want to see them miked up in the alternate shot format. Let's hear Brooks critique of what Bryson left him with after one of his wayward 350 yard drives a fairway and 40 trees offline. Or him b$tch ing that a 350 yard drive that found the fairway left him with an undesirable 3/4 shot he would not have set up himself. Bryson whining that he is not used to playing where all the other players divots are after Brooks "only" hitting it 315? THAT could be some real entertainment worthy of a WWE pay per view!

What next? The PGA Tour banning anything the intended player may take offense to, like being called an opponents nickname? Too late, that's now subject to fan ejection effective with todays "anti heckling" media release.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99912 - This was a reply to message #99899
Briggslaw
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Sunday September 5, 2021 9:52 AM
I gravitate to players, male or female, I would like to play golf with: Humble, calm, serious but realistic about the game, well mannered on and off the course, good conversationalists on various topics but who know when to shut the f up, and who basically just like to play the game and like to see others play it well. I don’t care if one plays poorly as long as s/he moves along, knows when to pick up, and doesn’t let his or her bad day ruin mine. I could be wrong, but neither Bryson nor Brooks seems to quite fit my mold, so while I admire their games and would love to watch either up close, neither particularly interests me. Bryson actually scares me a little because I think he has the ability to really change the game—the governing bodies always seem to over react to long hitters generally and probably are especially terrified of a guy who often also hits it straight, so his play may well hasten changes that I am resistant to, like different balls for pros and ams, even longer golf courses, etc. As for the “feud,” I am not interested at all, but the kinds of golfers I would rather not play with likely love it and thus increases interest in the game in some spheres. To me it is kind of like playing music on the course—I don’t like it, but I recognize that plenty do and allowing for “different strokes” helps maintain interest in the game, so I just try to avoid it but let others enjoy themselves. If some are more inspired to support the game by personalities like Bryson and Brooks than by a Zach Johnson, golf has room for all of us and the courses are large enough for me to keep my distance. (That said, outright hecklers and the morons who shout “Get in the hole” for the tv cameras deserve immediate execution. My tolerance has limits.)
 Message #99944 - This was a reply to message #99890
ggonzales
GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My three sons
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I am playing

Sunday September 5, 2021 10:04 AM
Preach brother. Could not have said it better myself!
 Message #99945 - This was a reply to message #99944
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday September 7, 2021 1:59 AM
Not all players can be Lizette Salas. Most are privileged silver spooners unaccustomed to being humble.
 Message #99977 - This was a reply to message #99944

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]