Golf cart amenities
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 5, 2021 8:58 AM
I would rather walk than ride, but these days walking is not a serious option at many courses. So, let’s talk golf carts, and I would really love to hear from people who have worked in the golf industry. I never have an issue with the kind of golf cart itself, some are comfier than others, but they all seem to work fine. What I wonder about is why, at this late date, all golf carts don’t have GPS, and a ball and club washer and a small cooler to boot. It cannot always be a cost issue; some very high end places lack one or more of these seemingly no-brainer add-ons. In fact, I can’t even think of anyplace that has all three of these features. If I have to ride, why not outfit me with these basics? Who is making these decisions about what to put on the carts? It can’t be actual users, must be the accountants? Are these amenities that much harder to maintain? Color me curious, especially those of you who know from experience who decides these things.
 Message #99941
Nickesquire
RE: Golf cart amenities
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday September 5, 2021 10:37 AM
Agree that GPS and no ports for electronics are huge "upgrades" that I would like to see available on all courses carts. And in the desert, a water cooler needs to be mandatory. I would not even guesstimate the amount of liquids in ounces combined my 4some consumed yesterday in sweltering heat.

Speaking as a player who learned to golf decades before there was GPS, I was slow to enhance GPS. Absolutely hated range finders when they first came out and have never owned one. Was able to get by, because back in the day, you had courses that were much better marked for yardages. 100/150/200 yard markers on the sides of fairways were pretty standard. Some courses had marked sprinklers. A great course had 25 yard increments marked from 250 down to say 50 yards.

Unfortunately, there are few markings left on many courses today. Recently forgot my GPS watch on an unfamiliar course. It was a sheer guess on yardages the entire round. If they even had 150 markers, I could not ascertain what they were. And I no longer have the depth perception to be able to tell the difference in say a normal 8 iron and normal 7 iron shot just by looking like I could as a teenager.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99947 - This was a reply to message #99941
Briggslaw
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Sunday September 5, 2021 11:30 PM
My brother from another mother.
 Message #99959 - This was a reply to message #99947
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday September 5, 2021 11:53 PM
I think you'll eventually see all golf carts equipped with the modern nuances; the state of the game will simply demand it. But even before USB ports and hi-def video screens began to creep into the mix, I never understood why the integration of the ball washer/club cleaning brush accessory wasn't more widespread. And it was an added bonus if you had a cart with a brush attached to the floorboard where you could clean your spikes on those days where they'd become clogged with grass clippings and dirt!

Unfortunately, for purists like us, the newfangled carts now feature bluetooth speakers and all the distractions you could possibly hope for in order to put you off your game. Want to listen to music while you play? Bring your iPod. Feel a need to watch the NFL between shots? Stay home on the couch. If I happen to get paired up with anyone who fits that profile, my bag may be on the cart but I'll be walking the entire day. Just give me the basics.
 Message #99961 - This was a reply to message #99959
jamesg18015
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday September 6, 2021 10:53 AM
A cooler and ball/club washer on every cart in the fleet means more labor for cleaning/maintaining these items. The coolers need to be wiped periodically and the ball/club washers need to have the water replaced often or it gets smelly. I suspect this is part of the reason why you usually don't see them on the carts at "value" courses. Many of these courses only have one staff person on duty at a time to deal with cleaning and staging carts. Personally, I prefer to carry a wet towel instead of using ball/club washers.
 Message #99967 - This was a reply to message #99941
kevbig
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Monday September 6, 2021 10:37 PM
QUOTED  It cannot always be a cost issue

It is

QUOTED  Are these amenities that much harder to maintain?

Yes

QUOTED  Color me curious, especially those of you who know from experience who decides these things.

So the above are the simple answers. The reality is a combination of both. GPS for instance is not a one time up-front fee. There is a monthly charge (similar to a cell phone plan) that courses have to pay to the vendors monthly. But the largest factors are the cost of maintenance, repair, or replacement of these seemingly small items. The average golfer has no idea how much a cart fleet goes through on a regular basis. Unfortunately, newer models use cheaper materials and therefore certain items get broken a LOT easier and faster than in the past. For example a simple plastic cooler can be a couple hundred dollars. Now factor in that most people do not take great care of these and just about 1-2 of them get cracked or broken per week, it starts to add up.

Sand bottles- same.
Baskets- same.
GPS screens- same.
Ball washers- same.

As you can see the costs begin to rise VERY quickly. Now, a golf course can offer all these amenities but how many golfers are willing to pay more per round for these creature comforts? The answer: not many. Also consider that none of the above even factors the cost of regular fleet maintenance suchs are tires, wind screens, batteries, chargers, body parts, labor, etc...

I hope this answers some of your questions.
 Message #99973 - This was a reply to message #99941
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 6, 2021 10:56 PM
We are finally taking delivery on our new cart this weekend after a 6 month wait due to covid global shipping problems. I know my first concern will be to mount a medium large ice chest to the cart. Never can have too many water bottles.
 Message #99974 - This was a reply to message #99941
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 7, 2021 9:57 AM
I've been riding more than ever this year and late last year.
If I had a choice on a cart preference, I'd take a basic strip down battery cart for something to take me from A to B any day. But give me something that can go for 18 holes each time I go out and not be stranded in the middle of the round.

I'll buy my drinks on course if the course sells it or I'll bring my own drinks (summer most needed)
No GPS necessary- I'll figure it out. Although it is very helpful on first times on, on tricky holes.
Ball washers and club cleaner- I can take it or leave it. Wet towel does the job, but I'll use it if they have it on.
USB phone battery chargers and/or music, bluetooth I won't miss it.
Plush seats? It's really not necessary, but I yeah, they look nice like the Classic Club is one of them.

So informative, @kevbig. thanks.
JVGA
 Message #99981 - This was a reply to message #99973

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]