Short game practice areas
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 5, 2021 9:24 AM
I love to practice. And I love a good short game practice area. I will pay just to use a good practice area. You course architects out there: If you are going to build a short game practice area on your range, please understand that one cannot calibrate one’s chipping technique on a small and undulating chipping green—we need some space around the green, a relatively long green in at least one direction, and a green that is relatively flat so we can practice shot height and distance control with most if not all of our chipping irons. We can adjust on the course to slopes and such only if we know what our basic straight shots will do! And we can practice shot height on a flat green but we can’t practice roll out on an undulating green. Do the people who build these things actually use them? Maderas is a great example: Huge short game area with several chipping and pitching greens but they are heavily mounded and relatively small and there is no place to practice, say, a P Wedge chip from 10 yards off the green to a flag at the far end—everything about that practice area is for golfers who already have great technique and simply want to try their luck at various high and short approaches, which can be entertaining but has little to do with real practice. It is no wonder that hardly anyone used that Maderas short game area in the two hours I hung around it recently. It is pretty but has very little value to inexperienced players and serious players alike. Best for buddy drinking games. Would love to hear from architects who build these areas. (And save it, I get I am a practice dork and am in a pissy mood today, see my post on cart amenities.)
 Message #99942
Nickesquire
RE: Short game practice areas
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday September 5, 2021 8:37 PM
You make many valid points Jeff. Numerous courses come to mind that have the real estate to at least provide practice areas for different areas of the golf game players would like to practice. Like you, I give high marks to a place I could actually practice sand shots or 20+ yard pitches on greens I may find on the course.

Sure I am missing some very good course practice areas, but here are some of the better ones I have encountered:

Ridge Creek Dinuba.
Shadow Ridge Faldo.
Classic Club.
PGA West Stadium/Nicklaus Tournament.
Desert Willow Firecliff/Mountain View.
Olivas Links.
Goose Creek.

Realize that none of these are right down the street from you.

When I lived close to where you are located, a course close by that the actual course was poor but I did like their practice area was Sunset Hills. Their putting green/chipping area was decent, had huge trees for sun protection and it was right beside their Grille that had great hamburgers.

Special memory was a day I went over for 45 minutes of practice then had a burger. Sitting at the table beside me was George "Sparky" Anderson, the old Reds and Tigers manager who at that time was the Angels color commentator. I collected baseball cards as a kid and was a huge baseball fan. Acknowledged I recognized him and stated what a great hitting team the "Big Red Machine" was... that started about a 45 minute conversation where I would throw out names I remembered from kids baseball cards and he would tell stories about his interactions. Pranks played in the locker room, guys who were superstitious or afraid of snakes. Absolutely hilarious! He was probably 80ish at the time a few years before he passed away. Seemed to make his afternoon to be able to relive his baseball memories. And a couple of decades later, still one of my most memorable encounters with anyone around a golf course. Super nice man!
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99957 - This was a reply to message #99942
Briggslaw
RE: Short game practice areas
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

Sunday September 5, 2021 11:29 PM
Sunset Hills is private now and they have cut up the practice area from what I can see. Never mind that, the Sparky story is awesome!!
 Message #99958 - This was a reply to message #99957

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]