Bunker Raking 101
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Bunker Raking 101

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
noeldaof
Bunker Raking 101
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 7, 2021 10:20 AM
Inspired to start a new thread by ""rudyclub- Bunker raking, or lack there of""

Can I ask to find out how GKer's community does their way of raking the bunkers?

The one I know that helps me to lessen the footmarks I'll be raking in the bunker is when I walk in with the rake with me already. It also helps me to enter the shortest distance to the ball and at least a low point of the bunker.

Does anyone have a list of how to?

Thanks.
JVGA
 Message #99983
1PLUS1
RE: Bunker Raking 101

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 7, 2021 2:06 PM
Really no need to open a new thread; posting your comment in Rudyclub's original thread would have been sufficient. Still, with that being said, he was not alluding to the HOW...but, rather, the WHY NOT. Properly raking a bunker is one thing; completely neglecting to do so was the topic at hand.
 Message #99989 - This was a reply to message #99983
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday September 7, 2021 3:46 PM
Yeah, 1PLUS1, I thought about not opening a new topic for asking everyone in the community what they know about raking a bunker and hopefully share it here. The other thought was not to hijack a thread he has established for his own purpose.
Also, maybe this could help promote raking the bunkers for those who may have a question in their mind and see how everyone else does it? I thought it would be better to separate a different topic about the bunker- people not raking- then this one is for helpful uses.

If you have any tips on how you rake a bunker, please feel free to add a a line or two. Knowing you're more than a a seasoned player with many helpful opinions, I'm sure you could help.
JVGA
 Message #99990 - This was a reply to message #99989
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Tuesday September 7, 2021 5:10 PM
Always a good question, Noel.

Google "how to rake a bunker properly" and there are many how-to videos, most about a couple of minutes long.

Worth a look as a quick refresher for any of us.

Some mention using the straight edge of the rake before the toothed edge, but otherwise mostly the same stuff.
 Message #99994 - This was a reply to message #99990
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday September 7, 2021 5:20 PM
QUOTED 
If you have any tips on how you rake a bunker, please feel free to add a line or two. Knowing you're more than a seasoned player with many helpful opinions, I'm sure you could help.

I follow just one simple rule: leave the bunker in better condition than you found it. Raking a bunker isn't rocket science...you're not being asked to decorate a five-tier wedding cake. Smooth out the footprints, level off any other imperfections, take some time to attend to other areas that need attention...regardless of where they lie in relation to your shot...and don't neglect the lip of the bunker if it needs some work.
 Message #99996 - This was a reply to message #99990
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Tuesday September 7, 2021 10:09 PM
Excellent common sense points Jeff.

I DO think this is worth noting on how to properly rake a trap. There are 2 kinds of trap rakers:

1-Those (probably 7/10) that just superficially go over their footprints/divot. If they looked back they would see they did not do a great job and that while they at least made an effort, there are still indentations where balls coming behind them would collect in. But they are still MILES ahead of the ones who won't even do that, so I give them props for at least picking up the rakes.

2-Those (maybe 3/10) that actually really RAKE their footprints and divot. Where that part is now the best place in the bunker.

I have a pet peeve on bunker raking that I was taught many years ago when I spent a summer working on a golf course by the Superintendent. (Way before there was automated equipment to rake traps, me and 2 other teenagers were the trap rakers for the whole course).

We should rake UP hill whenever possible. Spread the sand out and fill in thin spots, not just bunch everything down in the lower spots. What is a guy thinking who will rake down and take half the sand off a bunker face leaving bare dirt exposed? Why not push some up out of the flat part and actually repair the face of the bunker? Same type golfer that will enter the bunker from the top side and drag numerous child sand pails of sand down to the flat part with about 3-4 huge footprints? Like Jeff said, this isn't rocket science.

Basically, make the trap better than it was than when you got to it is spot on advice... and if players did that to greens, tees, fairways and bunkers, the courses we play would all be in much better shape.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100011 - This was a reply to message #99996
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday September 9, 2021 8:52 AM
QUOTED  I DO think this is worth noting on how to properly rake a trap. There are 2 kinds of trap rakers:

Which one should the player strive to be?

Like Nick I started playing golf when the sheep flock kept the grass down and bedded in the bunkers overnight.

Much depends on how the course has and is taking care of their own property. I'm not there to be a substitute to do a job the hired help should be doing, but will certainly clean up my own "mess" and a little more.

If the course keeps them up machined and maintained. I will certainly keep what there doing tidy. Do my marks and whatever else nearby to help.

In the pandemic times too variables to account for. One course I played had done maintenance on the bunkers and put rakes back out. But they were old with the fiberglass splintering off and the rubber handle deteriorated so that it left ones hand black. Not going to see many players using those too often or too much. IMO A semi-private course no less.

Just remember: It's just FUN!
 Message #100029 - This was a reply to message #100011
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday September 9, 2021 9:06 AM
One needs to rake “with the grain”.

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Thursday September 9, 2021 9:06 AM]]
 Message #100031 - This was a reply to message #99983
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday September 9, 2021 9:13 AM
Two minor points from me:

1. I don't usually take the take into the bunker with me because I've always felt it's technically cheating to drop the rake in the bunker (testing the bunker sand). I'll sometimes go grab it first but leave it outside the bunker.

2. After you rake toward yourself, lightly push back forward to smooth out the indentations where the rake entered the sand.
 Message #100032 - This was a reply to message #100031
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 9, 2021 9:19 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By Itslikeimsayin on 09.09.2021 9:13 AM]

Two minor points from me:

1. I don't usually take the take into the bunker with me because I've always felt it's technically cheating to drop the rake in the bunker (testing the bunker sand). I'll sometimes go grab it first but leave it outside the bunker.

2. After you rake toward yourself, lightly push back forward to smooth out the indentations where the rake entered the sand.

Good points.
JVGA
 Message #100033 - This was a reply to message #100032

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]