Spackler99
Greens Aeration Not Healing

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday April 16, 2022 8:22 PM
The course I belong to aerated the greens end of Feb with the drill and fill process. This Monday will be 7 wks since it was performed and they still haven't healed very well. We're located in the upstate of South Carolina, and have had really what I'd d call ideal weather since March. We always seem to run into this issue of the greens taking a long time to fill in the holes and get back to rolling well. I'm curious what the best practices are for after aeration of bent grass greens?

Our superintendent has been keeping them very firm for the past 3-4wks, and it wasn't much longer than a week maybe two at most that I saw him either rolling and or running the mowers on them after the aeration process. It seems to me you'd want to keep them as moist as you can, and not run any unnecessary equipment on them until the grass was really starting to grow in. On top of this in his monthy course blog he made note that he applied a pre-emergant or some other weed control to the greens for goose weed and something else specifically. It was stated this would probably retard the grass growth. While I appreciate that this needs to be applied to keep out the unwanted growth, if the greens we struggling to fully recover in the first place why add this on top?

I'm interested to hear any thoughts and standards that are typically followed to get your greens back to rolling well after an aeration and if keeping them firm, dry, and top dressed with sand is something that is in the best interest of the overall health of the greens.
 Message #101913
Deepsea14
RE: Greens Aeration Not Healing
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 18, 2022 7:30 AM
Maybe this from your relative? will help;

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Maybe it's the wrong grass or the superintendent is off on his timing of procedures. My UN-professional opinion.

QUOTED  We always seem to run into this issue of the greens taking a long time to fill in the holes and get back to rolling well. I'm curious what the best practices are for after aeration of bent grass greens?

That statement is concerning since you've indicated a trend.

Greenskeeper is foremost a social golf network dedicated players.
There maybe a professional or two on this website that can be of more help than me.

Good day.
 Message #101935 - This was a reply to message #101913

Listing 1 to 2 of 2 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]