YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: POST – Shots of the Month! - September 2021

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
JohnnyGK
POST – Shots of the Month! - September 2021

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 1, 2021 7:45 AM
If you’ve hit some great shots this month, post them here!

Mention the golf course and hole # please.

Looking forward reading about them!

* September 2021

Hopefully we have some at our GK Plays Indian Wells Golf Resort on 9/12 or the Golf Moose/Greenskeeper.org Morgan Run outing on 9/20. It would be nice is maybe JohnnyGK got one in GK Cup 17 Match Play ... lol

Thanks!
Johnny
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #99903
noeldaof
RE: POST – Shots of the Month! - September 2021
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 7, 2021 4:36 PM
(OK for a hack to kick start this thread? lol) Let me start it anyway with something that's probably simple for everyone.
There's a short hole on Tahquitz Resort #1 hole. Without any warmup, one other time I was there last September, my drive went way right- to the #18 short rough, almost on the fairway but surprised to see my lie was decent enough that I could get to the ball. The ball was below my feet on a hillside. Almost blocked by a tree to my left and electrical wires above- probably not in play but its visibility makes me question it and I'd have to have a 30-35 yard hook that can't fly too high. If I remember correctly, think I was close to 165 out- I mean I really sliced the ball terribly to say the least.
For a hack like me with an index 8.9 that's not an easy shot to do on a call, but after all the early ribbing in my group that I won't get on the green, a 5 doll hairs was whipped out by each of the three guys I was with and a game was on.
In short, I made it on and 5 feet short and below of the hole- made the put for a 3.
And that was probably the only one other hole I did good on all day. Needless to say I owed more than I gained on #1 hole.

I'm sure that shot is pretty regular and simple for many here in the GK community, and I'm also sure it would easily be outdone.

Looking forward to hear about some great shots from everyone.

Thanks.
JVGA
 Message #99992 - This was a reply to message #99903
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday September 7, 2021 5:08 PM
Had a pretty dismal round at Wilson on Sunday but did hit a great second shot into the green at the par 4 7th hole after a poor, thin drive that got pulled left and just behind some low-hanging trees. On top of that, there was a big tree on the left side blocking out the green so not only did I have to get the right distance down the fairway, but also had to keep the ball low under the trees and shape a draw to go around the tree. Lined up my club face, put the ball in the back of the stance and let my 7i rip (distance to center of green was about 185). The result was a perfect draw that rolled to about five feet from the hole. Unfortunately I was above the hole and my bending birdie putt just missed, but I made the par and walked away quite satisfied with that approach.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Tuesday September 7, 2021 5:19 PM]]
 Message #99993 - This was a reply to message #99992
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Wednesday September 15, 2021 9:03 PM
I played with the couples group last Monday. They play from the forward tees in a scramble format. The unique part is they play what they call a step aside version where the person whose shot you choose to play cannot hit the next shot. It was on hole #4 at Bear Mtn. a par 5. We had used my drive which was right down the middle just inside the 150 marker. When the other 3 hit their shots the best one was the shot Chris made that left us about 50 yards out. I walked up dropped my ball and just went for it with my 60 degree wedge I won at a GK event. Popped it up in the air to just short of the green with a front pin. The ball bounced on and rolled right into the hole for eagle!
 Message #100094 - This was a reply to message #99993
hermgolfs

GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    El Prado, either course

Friday September 17, 2021 10:10 PM
I have not contributed in quite a while, but here you go (this is not even close to current, but moderate it out if so be). While playing El Prado Chino Creek, on the par 4 15th hole, downwind I missed the fairway on the right (the better side to miss), with my ball sitting up in the rough on a little knoll. I had ~148 yards to center of green, slightly uphill. I hit an easy 7 iron flush, and knew it was a very good shot at contact. When I got to the green, my ball mark was evident in front of the hole, but no ball was visible on the putting surface. In the cup is where my ball rested, for an eagle!
 Message #100109 - This was a reply to message #100094
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday September 18, 2021 7:19 AM
My shot of the month is a miss hit that IMO significantly contributed to me winning my GK Cup 17 semi-final match vs. roarksown1.

It came on the 17th hole at The Saticoy Club Wednesday with our match all square. I hit a fantastic drive that ends up in a freshly repaired divot. So basically its sitting on sand. I'm 135 yards out to an elevated green. In my attempt to pitch the ball perfectly off that lie with a 9 iron, I skull it, somehow it tracks on the perfect line, worm-burning the whole way ending up about 15ft from the hole, I miss the bird but par was enough to win the hole! It resulted in my first lead of the entire match and gave me the edge heading into the 18th hole.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #100110 - This was a reply to message #99903
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Tuesday September 21, 2021 11:06 AM
NOT ME-

Playing Desert willow on Friday my buddy Kevin shanked one way right on the first par 3 (I mean 40 yards offline). We all assume he is dead and OB. While driving up to the green we notice a ball hanging off the back edge of the cup a few mm from going in the hole. Turns out it was Kevin's ball which must have hit a rock and launched back onto the green and a almost gone in the hole. If the ball had rolled 1/8" to the left it would've been one of the craziest ace story's of all time. Just like my Ace which hit a cart path first 22 years ago.

it reminded me of Alex326's shot at cascata a few years back.
 Message #100127 - This was a reply to message #99903
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday September 21, 2021 12:37 PM
QUOTED  NOT ME-

Kevin wasn't the groom I assume? Lol It's just fun!

Not me either-

Saturday: Fortinet Championship 3rd 5th hole Par 5 539 yards
The Kuch
Tee shot 282 into right rough 248 left
205 to the left rough near green soupy lie can't see it 43 yds left

Wedge 131 Ft 2" into the hole for eagle 3 !!!

Big smile and tip of the cap from him. Pros still get excited saving strokes like that!
 Message #100129 - This was a reply to message #100127
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Tuesday September 21, 2021 1:40 PM
QUOTED  In my attempt to pitch the ball perfectly off that lie with a 9 iron, I skull it, somehow it tracks on the perfect line, worm-burning the whole way ending up about 15ft from the hole, I miss the bird but par was enough to win the hole! It resulted in my first lead of the entire match and gave me the edge heading into the 18th hole.

I remember watching that ball intently as it came off the club face and thought, "Ooh, that isn't good," followed by a strange, sinking feeling as it ran right up onto the green and settled pin high right of the flag. That was such bad luck after that drive to land in a divot, but you got instant karma!
 Message #100130 - This was a reply to message #100110
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday September 21, 2021 3:07 PM
Great stories on all the misses and "Not Me"!!

"Golf is not a game of good shots. It's a game of bad shots."
~ Ben Hogan

Anyway, all these reminded me of a round we had last Sunday. Not Me: but our playing partner, an 18 handicap, shanked his shot and hit the Red Tee, and his ball ended up 35 yards on the left almost blocked by the big tree from his right. The hole was originally playing 162, but for his second shot, he tells us it's about 153. Anyway, from that clump of dirt and weeds around though somehow a decent lie, he made a great shot that ended 3 feet of the hole!! He normally scores in the mid 90s. To see him pull this shot was so cool.
JVGA
 Message #100131 - This was a reply to message #100110

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]