msherer260
Kikuyu Grass

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 12, 2021 6:55 PM
We have played several very nice courses over this summer, only sad thing was we are seeing more and more courses letting Kikuyu grass take over in many spots, Kikuyu is a really a weed that can be controlled with the proper weed killers...Kikuyu will even over run Bermuda grass...I saw a lot of Kikuyu at the Gary Player course in Rancho Marge that I never say two years ago...the course that used to be its sister, the Pete Dye at the Western was still fairly Kikuyu free? There is a hybrid of Kikuyu that grows lower and has thinner leafs the some really good golf courses were planted with..but this wild weed Kikuyu will grow into heavy mats if not cut short all the time.....we have a park near me that is totally the weed Kikuyu and it looks good but the mat is at least 2 inches deep and you take your life in your hands trying to run in it....
 Message #100313
mlslaw
RE: Kikuyu Grass

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 14, 2021 6:42 PM
Riviera is Kikuyu and it's great. Finest version and care most likely.
 Message #100338 - This was a reply to message #100313
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday October 15, 2021 8:24 AM
QUOTED  Finest version and care most likely.

Exactly Michael.

Not a fan of Kikuyu courses per se. However, the ones that actually vericutt the Kikuyu, it is usually nice to play off/out of. It was amazing how much better Morro Bay played and looked a few months after they vericutt the Kikuyu fairways and some of the heaviest parts of the rough. The ball rolled out at least some and did not just stop like velcro. Or even worse, get buried and become unfindable in the Kikuyu once it gets 3" tall.

The courses that just let it run wild and do not maintain it past an accassional mowing are probably what msherer260 is describing. And he is right, it is not good to play out of when they let it get out of control.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100344 - This was a reply to message #100338
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Tuesday October 19, 2021 2:03 PM
Most courses in So Cal are kikuyu or once were. The grass is very hearty and I have never found a fairway that is kikuyu that is not perfect to hit from. I am used to it and enjoy the challenges it provides, much like heavy bermuda, it takes some special practice and you need to play very specific shots, especially around greens, but it is fun to play different grass that require specific shots. Suck it up and learn to love it! Torrey actually bought entire fairways from one of the private clubs in San Diego, of kikuyu, to redo their fairways a few years back, so it is on a US Open course too.
 Message #100381 - This was a reply to message #100344

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]