Golf swing age 35 vs 55

Favorite Golfer:
    Carl Spackler
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing today

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 10, 2022 4:40 PM
Reality Check .....

OK...this is fun, or not. This is my own personal reality check. I can still play a little bit as a "weekend golfer" middle aged hack, but this video shows the decline pretty well. I've lost a lot of flexibility and speed, but gained weight. ...so at least I have the 'weight thing' working for me?

Short clip... age 35 vs 55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WHUSVd_vQ

My apologies, I don't remember how to properly post a link on this site. Aside from my golf issues... I showed the 35 vs 55 clip to the Mrs. and her first reaction was to laugh.

[[Edited by Buckeye_Nut on Friday June 10, 2022 5:30 PM]]
 Message #102277
Rat-Patrol
RE: Golf swing age 35 vs 55
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday June 10, 2022 5:40 PM
My swing is far better now (35-61)when back let’s me do it. I may just start playing 9 holes.
 Message #102278 - This was a reply to message #102277
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday June 10, 2022 6:50 PM
Because I have always had a extremely wide and long shoulder turn with a John Daly back swing, being in my 60's and losing flexibility is now costing me distance. Go figure???

However, I am finding that simply because I can not over swing nearly as much as I could a decade+ ago, my consistency, timing and accuracy may be improving with less back swing? Again, who would have thought???

Or maybe I am just delusional and grasping for straws, hoping that losing 30-50 yards off the tee actually has SOME advantages???
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #102280 - This was a reply to message #102278
Buckeye_Nut

Favorite Golfer:
    Carl Spackler
Favorite Golf Course:

Saturday June 11, 2022 2:35 AM
Nickesquire... you're onto something. I do hit foul balls from time to time, but I tend to keep the ball in play much better now... as I get old and hit it shorter. I play the same ball for all 18 holes much more often now. Many more compared to when I was younger and hitting it further. I was never a bomber, but I know I had 106-108 club-speed with ball speeds in the 160's when I was younger. Now, definitely not so much. I have an idea where I am now.....don't like to talk about it though. Still stiff shafts...not reg/senior yet.
 Message #102284 - This was a reply to message #102280
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Saturday June 11, 2022 6:48 AM
35 to 45 ... I lost 10 yards
45 to 55 ... I lost 15 yards

However, since stretching my back and legs 6 times a week, I gained back 5 yards.

I'd say I'm 20 yards shorter off the tee than when I was 35. But maybe more when I think about it since the clubs I have now are longer than when I was 35. So guessin I'm actually 25 yards shorter off the tee.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #102285 - This was a reply to message #102277
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday June 11, 2022 11:20 AM
Since I didn't start playing until I was in my 40's I don't have that full comparison but I know I started losing distance around 60. Saw my 7 iron which was my go to 150 club become a 120 club. Had to hit 5 iron to get 150. Switched to senior shafts and got that old distance back. Then had both knees replaced and haven't found that old game since. Really tough to go from a 12 to a 20 handicap. Probably higher now but I stopped keeping it since it was depressing and I have no intention of competing again.
I have found that a shorter backswing has helped my control but the inconsistency and struggles are still there. I keep hoping it will come back again but some days its so frustrating I think about quitting but realistically thats not going to happen...yet!
 Message #102287 - This was a reply to message #102285
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Sunday June 12, 2022 8:10 AM
Of course there will be physical changes as our bodies "mature".
The curve of losing distance for many seniors is / was flattened a bit with the improvements in technology over the years.
As an example, my buddy got new Ping 410 Driver and three wood. He felt he's gained distance and accuracy from previous clubs he's used.
Usually ten year or older drivers from play it again sports. He buys a 52 degree wedge and pitches in for birdie on the 18th two weeks ago.
Yesterday he was off a bit (mostly 3 putting slow greens) I kidded him he needed to go buy some game for this weeks contest!

QUOTED  Really tough to go from a 12 to a 20 handicap.

100% bogey + average is tough on the ego at times.

Our solution is to move up. Yesterday at Coyote Moon we got the inside info not on the card for the white / gold combos again which we discovered last year. Not sure how to post since their are no ratings for that officially and we just use it as a guide and play the longer tees sometimes. Moving up is just logical if the happy feeling is increased by having a reasonable club into the greens and occasional birdie looks and more pars and bogeys on the scorecard versus doubles and worse.
QUOTED  I keep hoping it will come back again but some days its so frustrating I think about quitting but realistically thats not going to happen...yet!

Hope is fine. Effort and a plan of practice maybe would help give it a realistic chance of maintaining or improving.
(I don't practice what I'm preaching very often lately!)
But a golf day like yesterday makes me put the quitting option away. It was a keeper for overall mental and physical health.
 Message #102289 - This was a reply to message #102287
Buckeye_Nut

Favorite Golfer:
    Carl Spackler
Favorite Golf Course:

Monday June 27, 2022 8:56 PM
I know I've lost 20'ish mph ball speed. I still enjoy playing though. was 165'ish.... now less. I don't want to know exacts for now. SLOOOW.>...

see the Adams Pointe video. Me 2 days ago swinging slow..

[[Edited by Buckeye_Nut on Monday June 27, 2022 9:00 PM]]
 Message #102416 - This was a reply to message #102289
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Thursday June 30, 2022 6:00 PM
I played a nice course last week in Indiana as a single. No range and the practice green is swamped with juniors getting instruction. I pay for my cart, rental sticks, and 6 balls, and ask if I can tee off sooner. They say yes, just follow those two seniors teeing off now. I go to tee#1, inspect the rentals, and start stretching. Two young guns pull up and I look them over...and decide to let them go ahead of me and my rentals. One of them says "thanks, I work here and we are quick". They skip #2 to get around the seniors and now I pace behind the seniors(no issue as I'm on vacation). I proceed to lose 3 balls on two holes to water hazards. Crap...dilemma...I'm going to run out of balls before the turn.
So I'm waiting for my chance to tee off because the seniors can't find a drive...so I decide to help and negotiate. I pull up and offer to help find their ball, if they have any 'least desirable' balls they could sell me. The guy calls me a "wise guy"! So I apologize for being forward and from out of town..."and look over there, I see your ball 30 yards back in the first cut". I drive back to his ball and point. He comes and ID's it as his, and humbles himself by handing me 3 high mileage balls from his bag. He wouldn't take any money and I told him I would buy him a sleeve at the turn. For the next 3 holes, he retrieved balls from the water hazards and left them for me on each green with a wave.
I know I do it all the time now..."I'm pretty sure it came this far"...only to find my drives are 30 yards shy of my expectations!
Cheers,
 Message #102435 - This was a reply to message #102289
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Costa

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 1, 2022 9:26 AM
First of all, I can't believe nobody has pointed out your BIG FLAW; Admitting to be a Buckeye! C'mon man! And pure poison in my lemonade, my Bruins going to the Big 10? And I thought LIV was bad...

Ok, back to your swing, I don't think you've lost that much. Sure backswing is shorter, but if your still making good contact the tech in the modern clubs/balls should help make it up. Have you had a club fitting? Guys seem to really benefit from that. John makes a good point about stretching & flexibility. I need to do much more of that. I'm 61 & due to knee injuries, my huge backswing is non-existent (new knee, just bad habits now.)
My weight is the anchor...

About 8 weeks to football! Good luck & enjoy the Golf.

GT
 Message #102437 - This was a reply to message #102277

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]