filla
Favorite Golf Trip Destinations?

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 23, 2020 7:05 PM
Looking to replace an annual Ocean City, MD trip where we typically play Baywood Greens, Man O' War (Glen Riddle) and Rum Pointe. We typically stay at a hotel in Ocean City or rent a house in the area. Looking to have a more resort like experience (roll out of bed onto the first tee). Also, within 5 hour drive from NYC would be ideal, however, we would be open to flying/driving further if necessary.

Any suggestions?
 Message #96408
dconnally
RE: Favorite Golf Trip Destinations?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 23, 2020 8:28 PM
Myrtle Beach, SC has almost 100 courses in the region ranging from OK to great, a wide range of accommodations, plenty of good food/beverage places, and an airport. 10-12 hour drive from NYC, so flying might be a good option for your group.

Further south, Charleston/Hilton Head/Kiawah Island has fewer but more well-known choices and a pricier/classier veneer. Costlier trip but higher profile from a bragging standpoint.

As long as you are flying, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama is pretty spread out but probably one of the better choices from a pure golf standpoint at more reasonable prices.

Just off the top of my head.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #96409 - This was a reply to message #96408
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Thursday September 24, 2020 5:45 AM
All the ones David mentioned would be excellent for an East Coast group looking to drive or take a short flight.

Central North Carolina: There is a weeks worth of great courses within 25 miles of Pinehurst.

Michigan and Wisconsin: Both have numerous destination courses that cater to golf vacations. However, these locations would not be appropriate for certain months limited by winter weather.

Florida: Orlando area is also a golf mecca if you are looking for an East Coast winter destination.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96411 - This was a reply to message #96409
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Thursday September 24, 2020 12:51 PM
Kingsmill in Williamsburg, VA has always intrigued me. It looks great when the LPGA plays there. About 6 hours driving from NYC. At least two courses. Never been there but the course and location look great, and it fits the roll out of bed hit the course locale.
 Message #96415 - This was a reply to message #96408
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 24, 2020 1:31 PM
Sounds like what we have in mind. I have not done this destination yet, but there are plans in my group to do Sand Valley and/or Bandon Dunes. Out there in the east, you might look into Cabot Links in Inverness, Nova Scotia, Canada
JVGA
 Message #96417 - This was a reply to message #96408
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday September 24, 2020 1:39 PM
Ozarks - Big Cedar Lodge resort, Top of the Rock, new Tiger design Payne's Valley, 2 other Fazio courses, all on property.

Downside - it's Missouri!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #96418 - This was a reply to message #96417
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday September 25, 2020 12:01 PM
Whistling Straits would fit your bill. IMO. Plenty of flights from NYC to Chicago or Milwaukee. 2.5 hours should be the flight time? 2 hours by car straight up I 94 from O'hare. Or 1 Hour from Milwaukee. So that meets your 5 hour time limit? And the drive from either airport is all freeway (as we say in CA).

Upon arriving you never have to leave the property. Just show up in the AM for the shuttle to 1 of four great courses. That's after having one of the best breakfasts they serve in each hotel. You never have to touch your clubs until you play. Caddie master at each course transfers your clubs each day to the course you play the next day. You said you just wanted to fall out of bed and head to the first tee?

Of course if you want to leave go downtown Sheboygan and have a great German meal at Al & Al's Steinhaus. Or head over to Blue Harbor Resort. But the restaurant choices inside the resort are top notch. We chose Al & Als and loved it.

Each hotel you choose at the resort has individual rooms or suites that accomodate 2/3/4/5 guests. All first class. And remember it is Kohler so the bathrooms are fantastic. As well as the rooms.

IMO one of the best buddy golf trips you can take. And believe me when I say I have taken MANY over my golfing lifetime.

Best of luck on your choice.
 Message #96423 - This was a reply to message #96408
livegolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday September 26, 2020 2:00 PM
I lived in Charlottesville, VA for seven years and would recommend a couple areas in the Mid-Atlantic for golf. If you are getting tired of Ocean City then the Frederick, MD area has many upscale public courses to consider. I also like the South Central Pennsylvania area (think great $40 to $50 courses) and the Williamsburg, VA recommendation. I feel Williamsburg has the best collection of courses in Virginia and Royal New Kent is one you don't want to miss! Unfortunately there are just a few resorts among my selections, but those areas are driving distance.
 Message #96426 - This was a reply to message #96408

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]