Discussions in General Golf Discussions
Moderated By JohnnyGK, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
General Golf Discussions
Calling out GK Guru and GK Cup free or reduced ...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Calling out GK Guru and GK Cup free or reduced rate round moochers...

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
Calling out GK Guru and GK Cup free or reduced rate round moochers...
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 10, 2021 11:51 AM
John Hakim does a great deal for all of us who enjoy Greenskeeper. Works countless hours and provides a great product as a little guy trying to stay afloat in a sea of big corporations. And rarely asks a thing of any of us other than we enjoy GK and treat each other respectfully.

John sets up many GK Guru and GK Cup outings annually at reduced rate prices (occasionally free) at nice courses. And he only requests one thing in return. One thing. That you write an honest review on GK afterward. Doesn't have to be a novel, just your honest thoughts about the course and experience. Honest, not a shill review. If you disliked the course/experience say so, just be fair. 5 minutes of your time after he got you $25-$50-$75+ off a round of golf seems more than fair and little to request in return to me.

And if calling out moochers is disrespectful, so be it. Here is to me the bottom line. It has bothered me for awhile the way I perceive that some on GK treat John. If you are willing to drive 2 hours each way, accept a reduced rate round of golf that he has always promoted as his way to generate advertising on GK. Then you won't spend 5 minutes sometime in the next 7-10 days to fulfill your end of the bargain? What does that say about YOU?

These outings are a main outlet so John/GK can prove to golf courses that the GK brand is worth it for them to advertise on and get a presence on social media. It says alot about John that he doesn't ban you from future discounted rounds. But it is a huge "screw you" to John and everything he tries to do with Greenskeeper. And I have watched some of the same people pull that B.S. multiple times. Play for free or almost free and all that is asked is an honest review. Then no review. If 8 GKers participate, sometime in the next week there should be 8 GK course reviews by those that participated. Not 5-6. That is such B.S. guys. Everyone on GK should be better than that.

If you are too sorry to write a review afterward, why don't you stay home on all GK set up reduced rate rounds? Go play a long round on a crappy L.A. County muni for twice the price at half the playing condition that you have to set up instead?

My opinions, not John's, but I know it bothers him. He won't speak out on his behalf, so I choose to do so.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Sunday January 10, 2021 12:42 PM]]
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97533
kevbig
RE: Calling out GK Guru and GK Cup free or reduced rate round moochers...
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Sunday January 10, 2021 12:42 PM
Bravo Nick!!! Completely second this and thank you John for all that you've done past, present, and future!
 Message #97534 - This was a reply to message #97533
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 10, 2021 1:48 PM
QUOTED  If you are too sorry to write a review afterward, why don't you stay home on all GK set up reduced rate rounds? Go play a long round on a crappy L.A. County muni for twice the price at half the playing condition that you have to set up instead?

Well said. Long overdue.
 Message #97535 - This was a reply to message #97533
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday January 10, 2021 3:48 PM
d%mn , I feel guilty and I haven’t been able to play much since last summer (backs been fried)! I hear you Nick. The one time I can remember not posting a review it was a case of mama told me if I don’t have anything good to say . . . don’t say anything. Hopefully I’ll heal up soon and be able to play, and I will, like (almost) always submit a review, good, bad or ugly!
 Message #97536 - This was a reply to message #97533
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Monday January 11, 2021 8:22 AM
I’m programmed to do one thing with helpful authentic reviews, appreciate them and those GKers that posted them. Gratitude is the core culture in our GK Community and it is truly special.

While I don’t get upset with those that don’t post a review at a GK Guru visit I certainly get disappointed by it. Yes, it is disappointing for reasons you mentioned. But mostly it’s because it goes against our GK Community culture of helping each other. Even if there are many reviews of the day from fellow GKers already posted, each one of those reviews as they are posted is being displayed on our home page, golf course finder page, top of our golf course reviews page, tops of users MyGK pages if they are following that golf course, and on top of the main golf courses page. All this exposure in addition to what the reviews get on the golf course’s pages. In addition they are being posted on the GK iPhone App. So your review counts big time. Express them in your own unique way because it’s those different perspectives that golfers like. I can't describe golf course playing conditions as accurately and as detailed as many GKers but there's a good chance some golfers out there like my take better because of how my writing can connect with them. I also love posting photos. That's super helpful for the website and app.

The golf course industry is a “Show Me” industry. I can tell them until I’m blue in the face how much site traffic GK gets and they will almost solely base the attention they are getting on GK to how many helpful reviews are posted.

Here is a current list of our GK Supporter Golf Courses 1-11-2021
(Not all relationships are monetary. Some are trade or trials.)

1. Bali Hai Golf Club (Las Vegas, NV)
2. Black Gold Golf Club (Yorba Linda, CA)
3. Cascata (Boulder City, NV)
4. Chimera Golf Club (Henderson, NV)
5. Cimarron Golf Resort (Cathedral City, CA)
6. Classic Club (Palm Desert, CA)
7. Corica Park Golf Complex (Alameda, CA)
8. CrossCreek Golf Club (Temecula, CA)
9. DeBell Golf Club (Burbank, CA)
10. Desert Dunes GC (Desert Hot Springs, CA)
11. Desert Willow Golf Resort (Palm Desert, CA)
12. Dos Lagos Golf Course (Corona, CA)
13. Eagle Glen Golf Club (Corona, CA)
14. Enagic Golf Club (Chula Vista, CA)
15. Glen Annie Golf Club (Santa Barbara, CA)
16. Goat Hill Golf Course (Oceanside, CA)
17. Goose Creek Golf (Mira Loma, CA)
18. Indian Wells Golf Resort (Indian Wells, CA)
19. Las Vegas Paiute Golf Resort (Las Vegas, NV)
20. Mojave Golf Resort (Laughlin, NV)
21. Mt. Woodson Golf Club (Ramona, CA)
22. Oak Creek Golf Club (Irvine, CA)
23. Oak Quarry Golf Club (Riverside, CA)
24. Omni La Costa Resort (Carlsbad, CA)
25. Paradise Valley Golf Course (Fairfield, CA)
26. Quail Lodge & Golf Club (Carmel, CA)
27. Rams Hill Golf Club (Borrego Springs, CA)
28. Rancho Solano Golf Course (Fairfield, CA)
29. Reflection Bay Golf Club (Henderson, NV)
30. Rio Secco Golf Club (Henderson, NV)
31. Ridge Creek Dinuba Golf Club (Dinuba, CA)
32. Riverwalk Golf Club (San Diego, CA)
33. Royal Links Golf Club (Las Vegas, NV)
34. Sandpiper Golf Course (Santa Barbara, CA)
35. Sterling Hills Golf Club (Camarillo, CA)
36. Sun City West Golf (Sun City, CA)
37. The Club at Sunrise (Las Vegas, NV)
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #97541 - This was a reply to message #97533
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Monday January 11, 2021 10:11 AM
As a person in arguably the category being scolded, help me out with a question I have. Why, when I see 4 reviews in a row for an outing I just attended, do I need to pile on with my own review? Doesn't anyone else have the sense that it dilutes the reviews already made? Bumps them off the main page, adds nothing that hasn't already been said. A couple times, I fought that feeling and wrote a poem or something but personally - I'm not wired for "Mad Libs" reviews that just require a few adjustment to the last review I wrote and it works for the next place.

As an aside, I have never taken 5 minutes to write a review. I've taken 45minutes, but I imagine 10-45 is my range. For some of us, writing reviews is uncomfortable, GK is the only place I bother to write any review of anything - the only forums I post in, the only organization I put extra effort to keep viable.

Anyway, I totally accept this admonishment, I mean to do better.
 Message #97544 - This was a reply to message #97536
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 11, 2021 11:24 AM
Perry, I'm not the originator of the thread but after reading your post, I thought to my self that I've been and I have felt that same thoughts you've had. But anyway, the reviews are s contribution of experiences, thoughts and opinions. Whatever others say is not yours. Yours, if it's the same as many others becomes validations of the previous. It would make the efforts by the host worth the time.
JVGA
 Message #97545 - This was a reply to message #97544
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday January 11, 2021 12:20 PM
I read the previous reviews, if I’m not the first, and then agree or point out the things I saw differently. I can always find something that was missing in other reviews. It’s always interesting seeing what different level players think. Not only the real good players but also the more recreational players like myself. Everyone has a different slant on things, that’s what makes life interesting.

[[Edited by Rat-Patrol on Monday January 11, 2021 12:21 PM]]
 Message #97546 - This was a reply to message #97545
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday January 11, 2021 2:38 PM
QUOTED  Why, when I see 4 reviews in a row for an event I just attended, do I need to pile on with my own review?

It's really quite simple if you think about it: in return for the privilege of playing some very nice courses for drastically reduced rates or, in some cases, FREE...all Johnny asks for is the few minutes it takes to post a review. It doesn't get more crystal-clear than that. In fact, he always seems to include that request when posting the GK Guru notifications so there's no excuse for not pitching in.

It doesn't have to be an epic novel...or a 'clever' poem; even if you do nothing more than state that you echo the views expressed in the previous postings, you've fulfilled your 'obligation' and no longer have to worry about having to wear the so-called 'Scarlett Letter'.

Whether or not you're fully aware of just how much time, effort, and money Johnny has poured into GK in order to keep it afloat, that should have no bearing on your willingness to lend a hand and participate by submitting a GK Guru review. Johnny has chosen to bestow GK Guru status on those who he's deemed to have earned that title. Now is the time to prove that it was deserved in the first place.
 Message #97550 - This was a reply to message #97544
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday January 11, 2021 5:47 PM
What Jeff said is basically what I was trying to point out. And there is ZERO excuse for not posting a review after accepting a free or reduced rate round on the stipulation that you review the course after you play.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97554 - This was a reply to message #97550

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]