WHS Adverse Conditions posting

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Trevino, Lema, Ochoa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Green W/holes n flags

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 13, 2021 1:42 PM
When we played Oak Quarry Tues 3/9 the greens had been punched and heavily sanded, I knew that from GK alerts.

We decided to putt once then pickup for 2 putts. My question is are the conditions I mentioned considered Adverse for WHS posting.
> > "How can they beat me? I've been struck by lightning, had two back operations, and been divorced twice."
> > Lee Trevino

> > "Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself."
> > Tony Lema
 Message #98167
JohnnyGK
RE: WHS Adverse Conditions posting

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Friday March 19, 2021 10:36 AM
QUOTED  My question is are the conditions I mentioned considered Adverse for WHS posting.

Sorry, little confused, what does WHS posting mean?
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #98261 - This was a reply to message #98167
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday March 19, 2021 10:50 AM
World Handicap System
 Message #98262 - This was a reply to message #98261
Bogey1Fogey38

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Trevino, Lema, Ochoa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Green W/holes n flags

Sunday March 21, 2021 7:32 PM
Probably should have typed GHIN score posting
> > "How can they beat me? I've been struck by lightning, had two back operations, and been divorced twice."
> > Lee Trevino

> > "Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself."
> > Tony Lema
 Message #98274 - This was a reply to message #98261
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday March 22, 2021 8:48 AM
QUOTED  My question is are the conditions I mentioned considered Adverse for WHS posting.

You are probably referring to the playing conditions calculations, PCC.

The way it works is:
if there is a trend of people playing higher than their course handicap, they assume it could be due to playing conditions. So there is some threshold where they will adjust your score accordingly (lower) to account for the presumable tougher playing conditions.

So it's based solely on submitted scores, not on actual playing conditions.

That being said, in my 118 posted rounds last year, not one got adjusted. I know I've played on some windy days... I don't know what it takes to trigger it.
 Message #98276 - This was a reply to message #98167
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday March 22, 2021 4:11 PM
PCC = Playing Conditions Calculation

It is applied in the calculation of a score differential if the course or weather conditions on a day of play significantly impacted players performances.

QUOTED  So it's based solely on submitted scores, not on actual playing conditions.

Two days of tournament play at Bayonet & Blackhorse last November. First day mild, second day wild wind over 20 gusts to 30. field of over 100 NCGA players whose scores were posted by the committee.
Player performance had to be affected 2nd round but don't see such notation on my posted scores.
Perhaps it is not a published stat?
 Message #98279 - This was a reply to message #98276
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday March 22, 2021 4:40 PM
from the usga faq: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/world-handicap-system/world-handicap-system-usga-golf-faqs/faqs---what-is-the-playing-conditions-calculation--pcc--.html

QUOTED At the end of each day, the Playing Conditions Calculation takes place automatically to determine if scores made at the course were significantly higher or lower than the expected scores of the players who made them, primarily due to weather and/or course set up.

If scores were abnormally low or high, a PCC adjustment between -1 and +3 will be applied to the Score Differentials of everyone who played that day. A negative (-) adjustment means the course played easier than expected and a positive (+) adjustment means the course played more difficult than expected. A PCC of 0 means the course played as expected, which will be the case on most days.

The PCC:

Uses scoring data so no action is required by the club/course staff or golfer (except for posting scores),
Includes only scores made by players with a Handicap Index of 36.0 or below,
Considers both 9-hole and 18-hole scores in the calculation, and
Only takes place if at least 8 scores were posted on a given day.

It's some algorithm of scores... actual weather is not considered... only the scores, which indirectly could be the weather... or it could be ridiculous pin placements... or high rough. .. or anything... doesn't matter. the scores matter.
 Message #98280 - This was a reply to message #98279
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday March 22, 2021 4:42 PM
QUOTED  Perhaps it is not a published stat?

it's on your list of scores on your ghin stats page. It's the column between rating/slope and differential... and is usually a dash. When they apply it, it will be a number -1 to +3
 Message #98281 - This was a reply to message #98279
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday October 22, 2021 1:27 PM
My understanding is that the PCC will only potentially kick in if the score was posted within 2 days of the date the round was played AND also only if 8 or more rounds are posted same day, same course.

If both of those occur and if you score is significantly better or worse than the "average" round posted for that date, the GHIN computer may adjust the adjusted differential of your score. 0.5 is the lowest adjustment. And that is completely "behind the scenes", all done by the GHIN master computer. No action required by the golfer, and we have no idea what the exact criteria is.

Like Michael, after well over one hundred scores posted for me since the new WHS went into effect, I have almost never had this feature kick in.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100464 - This was a reply to message #98281
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday October 22, 2021 2:24 PM
108 scores posted in 2021, and it's been applied 5 times. twice, it made sense to me, course played hard due to: one was a tuff day setup at my home course, and the other was a really windy day at whistling straits.

the other 3... twice, the course played easier according to PCC, and once harder, and i didn't feel it one way or the other on any of those.

I still have no clue how it decides when to apply.
 Message #100465 - This was a reply to message #100464

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]