Buying 'new' clubs
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Buying 'new' clubs

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 31 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4
roarksown1
Buying 'new' clubs
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 6, 2021 2:02 PM
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere but I could not find it. It's about time that I change out my irons and wedges after a good eight years of using already used clubs when I got them back in 2013. I'm making the move. I got some idea as to what I want to buy (TaylorMade irons 4-5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW) and Callaway Jaws wedges (56 and 60), but where have you all had the best experience buying pre-owned in almost-new shape at good prices. All help appreciated. Hoping this can finally help take my game one notch higher.
 Message #98833
Nickesquire
RE: Buying 'new' clubs
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Thursday May 6, 2021 5:22 PM
Have you hit these irons and compared them to other irons? I definitely would before I purchased Robert.

Remember, you are not just selecting the iron heads.

Do you know the type shaft you are looking for?

Steel or graphite?

Preferred weight and stiffness? A stiff shaft is not a stiff shaft is not a stiff shaft. There are hundreds in each flex range available. And the prices can vary radically.

Type and size grips you prefer?

Every single one of these components will affect your satisfaction level and the price of your new clubs.

Are you satisfied with your current ball flight? Want to hit it lower or higher? Shafts play a big part in changing this. And getting the wrong shaft can have a detrimental effect on your game.

1-Golf shops that have used or returned clubs, like Roger Dunn, PGA Superstore etc. I would first check in person before going the online route.

2-See if TaylorMade or Callaway has demo, used or returned clubs available for resell online. They have to have a way to move clubs that were returned for whatever reason. You may get lucky and find exactly what you want that someone played a round or two with for hundreds less than a new set would be.

3-3rd party sites putting you together with private sellers. EBay I have used and generally had good success. They backed me 100% and refunded my $$$ w/o issue the one time I had a problem with what I received compared to what the seller offered for sale.

If you go the online route. You need to REALLY look over the pics and read the fine print of the listing. Some sellers are more knowledgeable and reputable than others. Look over their sales history. Everything is negotiable. Look for and request pics that show serial numbers to lessen the chance you are getting a knockoff or stolen item. Some offer free shipping, some charge actual shipping and a few ship @ prices that make a seemingly attractively priced item exorbitantly priced.

Other sites like Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up etc. I would be more wary of.

And after you buy your new irons, let's compare notes. While we make look and feel better about it, my almost new irons nor your new irons will not fix shots that are:

1-fat,
2-thin,
3-pulled,
4-pushed,
5-Just suck in general

And neither of us possess the skill level to consistently fix all that...
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98836 - This was a reply to message #98833
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnold Palmer/My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch

Thursday May 6, 2021 5:57 PM
I would go and hit them at Roger Dunn or PGA superstore. My friend used RD in Santa An spent 3 hours. Got fitted and new set of Callaways. Loves the. All I hear after every shot. "I love these clubs"
 Message #98837 - This was a reply to message #98833
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Thursday May 6, 2021 6:21 PM
Robert,

Unless you know EXACTLY what specs best fit your golf swing and talent level (club length, loft, lie, shaft material, shaft weight, shaft flex, grip size, swing-weight), you owe it to yourself to take part in some OEM Demo Days and/or complimentary fitting sessions prior to making that investment. For example, I believe TaylorMade is offering individual fittings at Black Gold this coming Saturday. And an outdoor fitting session is the ONLY way to go.

Even if you then plan to look to the 'secondary market' for a more palatable price, you'll have the data required to make an educated purchase, not one solely based off an 'I like the looks and feel of these clubs' point-of-view. Remember, even though a club may 'feel good', that doesn't necessarily guarantee it will yield the best performance results.

With regards to wedges, it's absolutely imperative that you match the bounce with your angle-of-attack. Let's assume you're considering a 56-degree SW. Do you normally approach the ball on a steep angle? If so, then a high-bounce option would be the appropriate recommendation, whereas someone with more of a shallow, sweeping action should choose the wedge with fewer degrees of bounce.

The type of turf and bunker sand you normally play from also needs to be assessed...which could have a bearing on the 'grind' best suited to your game if you like to manipulate the face of the club to hit various shots...but many golfers fail to factor in the the angle-of-approach aspect and then wonder why they have a tendency to either blade or gouge their wedge shots.

Having the correct set of wedges in your hands will have more of a positive effect on your scores than the right irons so don't overlook the importance of getting the wedges that best complement your game/style of play when you do make that move.
 Message #98840 - This was a reply to message #98833
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday May 6, 2021 6:44 PM
Great stuff, guys - thank you ... I should have mentioned that I have done a fitting at Golf Galaxy last year but never pulled the trigger on new clubs at the time. I have all the specs and info but am having a devil of a time today finding the paperwork! So that's where I got the recommendations based on all of my time in the swing analyzer for the best options being the TaylorMade irons and Callaway Jaws - not just on a whim. I should have mentioned that in my original post, but the advice is great nonetheless.

I also have a friend who's tight with someone over at Plaza Golf in Torrance and they may just be able to hook me up pretty good as well. I plan on visiting there later this week to find out what I can, but am also looking at the direct pre-owned options online. I'm wary of 'fugazis' online through eBay and the like. If the deal's too good, it's probably not legit! But this is a great start and I appreciate you all chiming in to help.
 Message #98841 - This was a reply to message #98840
chevelle

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Friday May 7, 2021 4:32 AM
I boughtva 7I off ebay and when received took it to RD and had the lie measured and it was 2* up, I use standard. I also went to RD Santa Ann and looked at used clubs and took one to have them measure the lie and it was also different than standard. This is what most people forget about when buying used clubs. I know they say you can bend them, but the metal will want to go back to its original shape. I had RD bend an iron for me and he had to double the degree for it to get to the degree i wanted because the next 2 days it would return to the original spec. Just things to consider
 Message #98843 - This was a reply to message #98841
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday May 7, 2021 7:40 AM
Keith's point about checking the loft/lie on any used club you purchase is excellent and something worth taking the time to do. Preferably before you purchase the club if possible.

Purchasing clubs online is a VERY viable option, even from private parties. Ask Sparky14.

Being average height, I have always played standard lie/loft clubs.

This is an indictment of one unscrupulous seller from Blufton, SC. The other dozen plus sellers I dealt with from all around the country delivered exactly what they promised in a timely fashion.

When I had a set stolen, I first sought to replace those clubs with exactly the same make/model, purchased used online. I found a set of Ping G700 irons, advertised as standard lie, standard loft online. Same shafts as I had been playing, so these should be about as close to a 100% match as possible. Pics looked okay, not in as good of condition as the ones that were stolen, but decent looking used clubs. Negotiate with the guy and agree on a price. Within a week they arrive.

First thing I notice is that they appear more scuffed up that the pics posted online. Many spots where someone has cleaned the shiny parts meant to be cleaned with a moist towel with steel wool maybe? Went back and looked over the online pics, which were not great quality. Must have been my mistake was my impression. None of the pics showed the part where the serial number is located. Note to self for future reference: Request that to make sure they are sending you what they posted online.

I go play a few rounds with the "new" set and am hitting some really bad golf shots with these clubs. Seemingly well hit shots coming up way short. Several shots a round almost laughably offline etc.

My son was visiting and I showed him the "new" set of Pings. He looked at one in the bright sunlight and said... Dad, don't you play Ping Black dot?... Yes, always have son, these ARE Black dot. Or were they?

You looked close in bright sunlight and you could see some Blue shining through on some of the clubs where the Ping dot was. Took them in to have the set checked and they were 1 degree off on both the loft and 1% off on the lie from standard. If you think changing both 1% is not significant, all I have to say is you should have seen some of the golf shots I was hitting with that set. I suspect he took a permanent sharpie and made the Blue dot Black? Because finding a taker for clubs where both the lie/loft is changed from standard is going to be a much tougher sell.

The sellers words and attitude when I inquired convinced me that he was aware of this all along. Sent eBay all our communications, his original ad plus a statement from PGA Superstore that both the loft/lie were 1 degree off. eBay said return to seller and I had a full refund as soon as the clubs were returned from eBay. eBay then flagged his account.

The other two dozen plus clubs I ordered online I thought the seller was very good to excellent and would do business again with them anytime.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98844 - This was a reply to message #98843
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Friday May 7, 2021 9:19 AM
Forget new clubs. Now that we have seen each others' grip/swing, maybe we should pool our resources and get a good price on some hockey sticks.
 Message #98845 - This was a reply to message #98844
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 7, 2021 9:37 AM
Just curious as to what used clubs really now go for in value and its availability because I read from other thread here and other sites that many of them have gone up in price not to mention the limited selections due to many new golfers or come back to golf also looking into same pool.

I'm also thinking about a new set of irons although I just a got new set of wedges. (things starts out small and before you know it...) but i have not began looking/shopping but if I spent or budgeted for $1,000 for a brand new irons and used the club for about eight years, it would boil down to $125 a year. Is that reasonable? I mean for something I really want and maybe even some fitting help? Just thought I'd ask also without hijacking the thread.

Many great points up there about questions and suggestions on fitting and I'm all for that. Some of the guys in RD or other big box stores PGA SS are actually pretty honest and good about static and dynamic fitting which I know I won't be pressured to buy what I don't think I should if I were to save a few bucks. in my case, i know what I already want/need (or close to what I can afford a fitter can recommend- at least).

thanks.
JVGA
 Message #98846 - This was a reply to message #98833
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday May 7, 2021 9:46 AM
QUOTED  Forget new clubs. Now that we have seen each others' grip/swing, maybe we should pool our resources and get a good price on some hockey sticks.

Would not assist Kevin. Doubt I could consistently make solid contact and hit good shots with a hockey stick either.
 Message #98848 - This was a reply to message #98845

Listing 1 to 10 of 31 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]