ajoseph
Affordable courses - Monterey Peninsula

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 31, 2019 6:42 PM
There are courses I want to play but can't afford (Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish Bay). There are courses I want to play but can't get on (Cypress). Of the remainder in the area, "second tier" if you will, which are the five best? Anything that shouldn't be missed? Thanks for the advice.
 Message #93072
JonBlack
RE: Affordable courses - Monterey Peninsula

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 31, 2019 6:50 PM
Blackhorse and Bayonet are both great and very reasonable on GolfNow. Some of the best value anywhere, let alone near Monterey.

Pacific Grove is definitely worth a visit. Nice little muni in an incredible setting.

Del Monte and Laguna Seca Golf Ranch are also reasonable options I'm told though I've never played either.
 Message #93073 - This was a reply to message #93072
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara, Rams Hill, Torrey

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday December 31, 2019 7:00 PM
QUOTED  Blackhorse and Bayonet are both great and very reasonable on GolfNow. Some of the best value anywhere, let alone near Monterey.

A huge second to THIS! They often offer a deal for both courses and lunch for around $200-300 depending on the season. If you can afford to splurge just a bit, try Pasatiempo near Santa Cruz.
 Message #93074 - This was a reply to message #93072
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Tuesday December 31, 2019 7:41 PM
When are you planning on playing here? And no, I can't get you on Cypress.
It's the only course here in the peninsula I haven't played yet.

[[Edited by Alex326 on Tuesday December 31, 2019 7:46 PM]]
 Message #93075 - This was a reply to message #93074
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Wednesday January 1, 2020 1:23 PM
Based on the question I would say Pacific Grove fits exactly. Very affordable and fun course. I have played there evry time I was up in the area and will next time as well. The back nine is worth the price which is very affordable. I think I have paid in the $20 range most times andenjoy mit as much as many $50 courses. I played Black Horse and did not enjoy the experience. It was the only time I stood on a tee box and had absolutely no idea where the fairway was. I aimed where the tee box pointed and never found my ball. Play with someone that knows the course and it will help. Had a playing partner on the front 9 and managed OK but the back was a nightmare!
 Message #93090 - This was a reply to message #93075
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday January 2, 2020 10:07 AM
If value is your main concern, then Laguna Seca and Pacific Grove would be my first choices. Both very enjoyable and won't break the bank. If you want better rates at the other courses, you should think about playing twilight rather than during prime time. And connect with Alex, as he is the GK Guru for the area.
 Message #93095 - This was a reply to message #93072
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday January 2, 2020 10:31 AM
Have played Bayonet and Blackhorse in early November multiple years now. One Saturday afternoon the other the next morning. Consistent every time and will hold your attention all the way around. Inside 17 mile Drive you have the NCGA's Poppy Hills high quality as well. All three capable of holding pro events. All in the higher end 2nd tier green fee range with deals available. I love the views of Monterey Bay at B&B many holes. At Poppy some views too but larger trees around the course.

QUOTED  It was the only time I stood on a tee box and had absolutely no idea where the fairway was. I aimed where the tee box pointed and never found my ball.

I can see how this could happen in the area that the two courses intertwine just off the entrance driveway to the south!

For sure the go-to guru Alex326 for more and up-to-date info for your visit.
 Message #93096 - This was a reply to message #93095
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Thursday January 2, 2020 3:45 PM
QUOTED  I played Black Horse and did not enjoy the experience. It was the only time I stood on a tee box and had absolutely no idea where the fairway was. I aimed where the tee box pointed and never found my ball.

Being that Blackhorse used to be my home course, I haven't had the expierence of not knowing where the fairway was. Not being able to find my ball after I hit it... that's a different story!

I sent ajoseph an email to contact me for the inside scoop on go to courses
 Message #93097 - This was a reply to message #93090
coronagolfman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch GC

Saturday June 6, 2020 11:16 AM
Not sure what you consider affordable ($100 a round? $200 a round?) but there is discount card offered by the Pebble Beach company that provides substantial discounts for Spyglass Hill and Spanish Bay (SH for $240 a round instead of $415 and SB for $170 instead of $295) - its called the Dukes Club card and costs $360 for a calendar year from the date of purchase (based on information I just Googled). Sounds expensive (hey, its Pebble Beach resorts right?) but a single member of the club can bring 3 guests for the same discounted rate. So if your foursome spends $90 each for one of the guys to get the card, everybody can play for the discounted rate. Doesn't take a mathematician to figure out the card pays for itself if you go up and play a round each at SH and SB - and if you make a second or even a third trip in a year's time its a great deal. It is rumored also that in the winter "offseason" for Pebble Beach resorts that a member of the Duke's club might get some discounted golf and/or lodging deals for Pebble Beach golf course itself (although last time I talked with PB via email in fall of last year they said demand for Pebble is pretty high year-round so one shouldn't count on Pebble Beach golf offers).

Would second those that say Pacific Grove back nine is pretty cool - although the front nine is pretty pedestrian.
 Message #95253 - This was a reply to message #93072
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Saturday June 6, 2020 8:37 PM
Pacific Grove---been a long, long while since I played there so this take could be very stale, but I found it pretty lousy. Very crowded, short ass course (tho situated in a beautiful spot) that allows 5 somes. Bayonet/Black Horse FAR superior golfing experience. Play them both.
 Message #95258 - This was a reply to message #93090

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]