YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Golf in Virginia

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
SBogey
Golf in Virginia

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 24, 2022 4:45 PM
I am going to be in Virginia Beach for a couple weeks and wanted to get in a couple rounds of golf. Any suggestions?
 Message #101979
FirstFlightFX-101
RE: Golf in Virginia
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Sunday April 24, 2022 11:13 PM
Virginia Beach National. My nephew-n-law Vic played it while visiting last August. He had rain on about 6 holes, but still sang praises of it. I guess it used to be called TPC Virginia and it is a Pete Dye design. Have fun & play well Steve...and say hello to Chris.
 Message #101982 - This was a reply to message #101979
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday April 25, 2022 5:26 AM
If you head inland at all check out Stonewall Golf Course at Lake Manassas. An absolutely, Beautiful setting along the lake and great conditions. I played it last year when I was in Quantico and out of the 5-6 courses I played in the area it was the best.
 Message #101984 - This was a reply to message #101982
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday April 25, 2022 5:59 AM
Thank you guys so much! This is one of the best aspects of GK! I will check them out. I figure I can ask a few locals as well and when we were back there for my daughters wedding we drove by a course not far from her.
You bet Chuck, I will tell her. We definitely should get together to play some golf this summer even without the cup on the line!
 Message #101986 - This was a reply to message #101984
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Monday April 25, 2022 1:12 PM
Some summer golf after you return sounds great!

Like Alex says, if you're willing to drive...you have an opportunity to play in nearby Maryland and North Carolina too.

Maybe use this thread to share about...your golf rounds on the trip, conditions, how well any of the local brews taste, and pics too?

Cheers
 Message #101990 - This was a reply to message #101986
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday April 25, 2022 8:21 PM
Unfortunately I just realized I will be gone and miss the Desert Willow outing. Oh well, next time.
 Message #101991 - This was a reply to message #101990
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Tuesday April 26, 2022 7:22 AM
The trip is basically to help my daughter get her house ready to put on the market and help them move to their new home. I hope I can get in 2 rounds and I will be using my old set of clubs so no great hopes scoring wise but look forward to some nice down time!
 Message #101992 - This was a reply to message #101991
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday May 1, 2022 5:40 AM
Well I picked the 2 courses I want to play. I will try and hit Virginia Beach National later this week. Today I am going to play a course called Stumpy Lake. A Robert Trent Jones design within a nature preserve. Has some great reviews and pictures look beautiful. Weather is a little on the cool side but not too bad. I will be playing with my old clubs so again no high hopes score wise but just looking forward to a relaxing day after working pretty steady on my daughters house.
 Message #101997 - This was a reply to message #101992
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday May 2, 2022 1:40 PM
Well my round Sunday was far from stellar. Struggled a bit with old clubs. The course was a disappointment. I can see that in good shape this would be a fun and beautiful course. The first 3 greens were in terrible condition. Big patches of dirt and thin coverage. I have encountered an occasional tee box that was so hard it was difficult to get your tee in the ground but here it was every tee box. One of my playing partners came up with the idea of pouring water on a spot to soften it. sort of worked but often we would all put our tee in the same hole so we didn't have to fight with it. The course is as flat as any I have played so a nice walking track. You could see RTJ's style as clear as day. Each 9 had 2 dog legs to the right and 2 to the left. Par 3's were pretty simple but the shortest was 165 and went up from there. My daughter warned me that conditions are reversed from Cal golf in that they turn brown in the winter and green in the summer. If I get back here in the summer I will probably try it again. Shot 45-49 with 3 pars so all in all with those clubs and conditions I am OK with that.
It has been suggested that Virginia Beach National is not that great and there are 3 other courses I should consider. I will let you know where and when I play next! Stay tuned!
 Message #102012 - This was a reply to message #101997
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Tuesday May 3, 2022 7:03 PM
OK so I added a 3rd course. Played Cypress Point after one of my daughters friends said it was a great course and I would enjoy it. Weather here has been crazy. Sunday forecast of cold and windy turned out hot and calm. Today was supposed to be warm and clear and was cold and overcast. Thankfully on Sunday I took a short sleeve shirt in my bag and changed before my round from the long sleeve I went in. Today I was glad I left the long sleeve in the bag and put it on around the 4th hole. Signed up and was supposed to go out as a single, which I don't always like and dread on a course I have never played. Got to the first tee and there was a 3some getting ready to tee off. They offered to let me go ahead of them but I asked if I could join them. Great decision. Had a wonderful time spending half a day with those guys. The course was dry and in OK condition and again slow greens. Nice tee boxes and good sand. I was only in 2 bunkers but they played nice. Today I was making much better contact and hitting the ball straighter but as I have found too many times, my score was no better. Shot 94 but again had multiple putts headed right at the hole and stop short. I still want to get to VB National and may try to get out Thursday for that one. Most of the work on the house is done and should finish tomorrow. Then it's waiting till the weekend when the big move happens. Interesting layout that had 3 3's 3 4's and 3 5's on the front 9. One of the guys I joined today said VB National is in good shape now and has really nice greens. I sure hope so.
A question for every one. Last week I got an email from Ashwood saying no more carts in the parking lot and then this week got the same notice from Yucaipa. Both say it's because of new insurance regulations. Is this something happening everywhere?

[[Edited by SBogey on Tuesday May 3, 2022 7:07 PM]]
 Message #102023 - This was a reply to message #102012

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]