Pine valley

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday May 2, 2021 12:26 PM
Anyone else think it strange that this course is just now admitting females? I was unaware that this course, that is so highly regarded by all the major golf magazines, was like this. I think if I were golf digest or golf magazine, I would de-list any course on the top 100 that is exclusionary to any person. Why give them hype and publicity at all? I don’t care what the course is like, it should probably be ignored by all publications, unless they are writing about courses that need to change because of their policies. I think there should be some kind of price to pay if you want to exclude people based on race, gender, or religion.

Just my two cents
 Message #98769
Nickesquire
RE: Pine valley
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday May 2, 2021 1:46 PM
Was not aware of this. But I have to think that the list of prominent clubs in 2021 has to be fairly small that are still excluding significant percentages of the general population?

If this were a public club, would not be allowed going back generations now.

However, whether you think they are right or wrong... private clubs can usually set up their own membership rules. It's on private property and most governmental rules do not apply. They are private because they are MEANT to exclude a certain segment of the population. Whether it's based on race, sex, religion, politics, socio-economic level... it may not be advertised on the sign out front, but that is EXACTLY what private clubs seek to do. Exclude others that they do not care to associate with. Anyone is naive if they think private clubs are meant to be inclusive to the masses.

One of the few successful legal ways to challenge that status quo was a case where most of the local power brokers in a private club were white males. And they routinely conducted business at their private club that required local politicians approval before it could proceed. Women and minorities successfully sued that they were being excluded from conducting local business because they did not have access to the club. A judge agreed and the club had to amend their by-laws.

When purchasing a home, depending on where it is purchased, by statute they may be required to provide copies of prior deeds, covenants and restrictions. My wife and I were shocked and somewhat amused that a home we purchased as recently as 20 years before we were born that two of our children would not have been legally allowed to stay overnight?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98771 - This was a reply to message #98769
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Monday May 3, 2021 6:18 AM
Great info nick, and yes I understand the private club can pretty much set the rules but I don’t think any major publication or media should give them any recognition for anything. Pine valley should never be on any top course list, ever, or until they change their by laws. I think this should be true for any private course with exclusionary practices.
 Message #98778 - This was a reply to message #98771
coronagolfman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch GC

Monday June 21, 2021 11:22 AM
Is there anything Pine Valley wants from the USGA or the PGA which would lead them to admit females? The USGA has been pretty forthcoming with insisting that courses that want USGA championships or events or other funded programs participation have non-restrictive membership rules so is there some reason for Pine Valley making these changes?

Remember that Augusta National was looking at some kind of restrictions from the PGA and/or USGA for not having black members and then again for not having female members and ultimately caved in by admitting members of both of those groups. I believe there was a case of the PGA Championship removing a scheduled event at Shoal Creek in Alabama due to membership restrictions a few years back as well.

Agree that private clubs of any type are private and thus have the right to establish their own membership criteria but clubs such as golf clubs that want inclusion into the USGA or PGA sphere of activities will most likely find that those two mentioned organizations will have their own criteria for the types of clubs they want to be associated with.
 Message #99313 - This was a reply to message #98769
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday June 21, 2021 1:13 PM
QUOTED  Agree that private clubs of any type are private and thus have the right to establish their own membership criteria but clubs such as golf clubs that want inclusion into the USGA or PGA sphere of activities will most likely find that those two mentioned organizations will have their own criteria for the types of clubs they want to be associated with.

That's it from the prestigious tournament side these days. If you are not inclusionary you are not going to host USGA/PGA/LPGA events.
Pine Valley has forever been on the top lists and as a golf course maybe deserving. In other areas in living in the past erroneously.
 Message #99318 - This was a reply to message #99313

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]