Discussions in Rant & Raves
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
General Forums
Rant & Raves
18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY F...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: 18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY FOR REAL?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 14 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
RE: 18 & replay and play all day "deals" ARE THEY FOR REAL?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 26, 2021 6:44 AM
WOW!!! A Mike Gallivan sighting!

Back in the pre COVID days, Mike used to be my partner in crime as we tried out many of these 18 + replay or play AD desert deals. 36 holes was the usual and there were numerous 54 hole days sprinkled in there. We were both on Forelinx back in the "unlimted" days of Forelinx. So we also got together @ distance for our share of 36 hole Forelinx days in that period. We have enjoyed "play all day" golf outings from San Barbara to San Diego to La Quinta, and many areas in between.

My wife was convinced that Mike did not exist. She thought that there could not possibly be another retired/semi retired married male out there who would:

1-be getting up when it was dark,
2-driving 2 hours to meet up with me @ dawn @ some far away golf course,
3-playing golf AD, and then
4-getting back home to his family well after dark.

Kept talking with her about what a great guy Mike from San Diego was that I met on GK.

Mike and I had been getting together for a golf all day at least every month or so for awhile. Our youngest daughter was getting married near San Diego about 5 years ago. Typically, a bunch of younger people who just "HAD" to be invited canceled at the last minute long after the head count was paid for on tables, meals etc.

So my wife said why don't you invite some of your golf buddies? Tell them no gift is required, just come and enjoy the afternoon and have them bring their wife or significant other and make a date night out of it if they want.

She said this partially as a joke and partially because she wanted to meet some of the GK guys I had talked about she had never met. Also because it would be better if someone actually got enjoyment out of the already paid for meal/festivities. So she ended it by saying with a laugh, that maybe your golf buddy "Mike" can come... I want to meet this Mike guy... On all my "Mike golf days", she knew I was actually playing the golf. She could see the scorecards, the hours I spent inputting my scores/doing my reviews, my golfing tan and the credit card charges. But I think there was also the wonder that if "Mike" did actually exist, maybe "Mike" is actually code for an attractive female golfer I was meeting up with?

She did not think I would, but I immediately got on the phone and invited Mike and his wife Daphne.

My wife was completely shocked when I pointed out Mike/Daphne sitting across the room the day of the wedding.

"WOW, Mike DOES exist?" was her comment... yes dear, we have witnessed each other's mediocre golf shots from sun up until sun down many days, Mike DEFINITELY is not a figment of my imagination...
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98704 - This was a reply to message #98702
parmegt

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 26, 2021 7:24 AM
Great Post on the "deals!" And the 2nd too, about the "Mike." Lol

I recently played (and reviewed) The Marriott Shadow Ridge for the 1st time, I've been touting it to all my Golf buddies.

C ya, GT.
 Message #98706 - This was a reply to message #91485
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Friday May 28, 2021 9:23 PM
Will be interesting to see the prices on the "deals" considering how much golf fees in general have increased in the last year +. Right time of year for these deals to be coming out.

Got this e-mail today from a well know reseller. Perfect example of deceptive advertising using a bunch of half truths.

Coral Mountain Golf Club

Wait — A 2008-2009 Best Places to Play? A 4.5-out-of-5-star rating from Golf Digest? A four-year stop on the PGA Tour? Yes, it's all true, so do not miss a golden opportunity in the desert: $65 for Unlimited Golf with Cart, Range Balls and One Free Drink at Coral Mountain Golf Club - Formerly The Golf Club at La Quinta- in La Quinta ($180 Value. Good Any Time until September 1, 2021!) ...

A 2008-2009 Best Places to Play?

Seriously, you have so little to truly state in recent memory that you are going back a dozen years? Pretty sure that was at least 2 ownership groups ago. Previously known as "Trilogy Golf Club at La Quinta" and "The Golf Club at La Quinta" for a reason. Decent Gary Panks layout, but this place has been going downhill for years with different owner and management groups all playing a part. Can almost guarantee a well above average mark for design and a mediocre mark for the area on course playing conditions. If you compare it to a L.A. County muni, you would think it's in great shape. Compare it to other courses in the immediate area and your opinion would not likely be so grand.

A 4.5-out-of-5-star rating from Golf Digest?

Do they actually mean Golf Advisor? No, they only have a 3.1 out of 5.0 there. 38 reviewers gave them a 2.3 out of 5 for value and a 3.0 out of 5 for playing conditions. Exactly one course rating over a 7.5 on Greenskeeper going back over 5 years? And that is being fair to provide grading opportunities in peak season, shoulder season and the hot summer months. Reality is that this is hardly a plush, destination course, and the opinions of a multitude of golfers on different review sites back that opinion up.

4 year stop on the PGA Tour?

That would be a no. The PGA Tour did not use this course for a regular event, so to me it is a radical overreach stating that it was a 4 year stop. They hosted several one day made for TV "Skins games".

Unlimited Golf?

That would also be a no, speaking as someone who has played there more than once on these type deals. When you are closing the course @ 4pm and locking the gates at 4:30 when it is still light enough to play @ 8:30, it hardly qualifies as unlimited.

$180 Value?

Seriously? Anyone would have to be a very special kind of stupid to pay $180 to play this place. I can think of no one with any credibility who would rank it among the top 25 public courses in the greater Palm Springs area. And it would not be in the top 75 if you included the privates. $180? I am sure the list is long and distinguished of golfers who have actually paid $180 recently to play there. That's like a late night infomercial claiming something is a $49 value they can barely give away...

This marketing is about as straight forward as a pro shop person who would tell you that their greens are putting "great" one day after punching when you inquire while making a tee time.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #99060 - This was a reply to message #91485
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday May 28, 2021 10:18 PM
I'm using the Golf Moose deal at Glen Annie next week. First time there. Looking forward to it. Can't tee off until after 11:00 and we got 11:24. Not expecting to finish two complete rounds, but it's a possibility. Probably depends how busy they get on Friday afternoons.
 Message #99061 - This was a reply to message #99060

Listing 11 to 14 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]